Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13sldr Posts: 237, Reputation: 17

Jan 22, 2008, 04:39 PM
    After boot camp
    I am joining the Air Force in August of 09, and I want to know what it is like to live in the dorms after boot camp and a way from you parents, what was it like for you
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Make sure you don't have any bad credit. If you do make sure that you have papers proving a payment arrangement and that you are making payments.
    My daughter may be losing her air force career because she can't prove a payment arrangement and the collection agencies refuse to mail her or the air force anything.
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Jan 22, 2008, 05:03 PM
    The food sucks. Buy a warm blanket because the wool one they have on the bed serves no purpose and it's ugly. If you are a girl you will have an abundance of eye candy, but unable to touch.

However, the dorms you refer to are nothing like the dorms your friends, attending college will be living in. You will be cleaning them, you will not be having parties in them. You will not be learning, you will be training. You will never be taking a, 'walk of shame' as you will have a strict curfew and no campus to walk across, sorry.

It isn't your home away from home, in which you go home during the summers. You have chosen to join the service, which is honorable, but it's a job. Though I understand your question I hope you do not have the wrong idea of what it's going to be like.

When I finished bootcamp, I felt free but I also realized what a huge responsibility I suddenly had. A responsibility not just to myself, but to the men and women you serve with. The men and women who have died defending the freedom you will have, and the responsibility you have to all of us, to continue it.

So your question about the dorms will seem so minor in a year. When you get that far, you will be a completely different person. A solider, an adult and a person who has more responsibility than most of your friends will have at that time. It's a serious career move.

You will enjoy your new found freedom, but now you will play an important part to maintain it, for all of us.

Thank you for that and good luck to you.

PS: Don't drink the milk during bootcamp, ever! Trust me.

Jan 22, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Lol, about the milk, I can't drink milk anyway, and what branch did you join
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 05:18 PM
    My son in the Army said they purposely set out doughnuts and sweets and then give you all heck if you even reach for one. But that is the army, my daughters never mentioned that one to me.

Jan 22, 2008, 05:21 PM
    My mom is in the Air force also, and right now she is in fort brag? And she has sent me pics of the rooms that she is in and there are nothing compaired to what the air force has, even their tents they have out at lackland afb
    douger2006 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 11:59 PM
    I lived in dorms many times. Brick walls, and only small beds. But you get used to it. Soon you move on. Once you advance things get better. Even possibility of your own apartment. If you get married, all is paid for. Good luck.

Oh, yes bring a sleeping bag.
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Mar 11, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 13sldr
    i am joining the Air Force in August of 09, and i want to know what it is like to live in the dorms after boot camp and a way from you parents, what was it like for you
    Well it all depends. I went to the dorms and it was fine for the 1 year out of training. You free, can do what ever you won't, No one telling you what to do, and so on. But it dies down after a while, I had to get out of it before my kidneys failed. Lol, Just a faze. You will give you a sense of pride and a better understanding of what it's like to live on your own. Oh did I mentioned that it is the cheapest form of living. Anyway. You will love it. Cheers to you for enlisting. Keep focused and work hard. Pro Patria.
    dniemiera Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2008, 01:51 AM
    i am joining the Air Force in August of 09, and i want to know what it is like to live in the dorms after boot camp and a way from you parents, what was it like for you

After boot camp you will feel like living in the dorms is heaven. From having to share a dorm with 25+ guys in basic and then going to your tech school and just having one room mate its great! Lol when I finished basic(af) it was the best thing ever I mean depending on your career field, but you should be all right. Nothing to it but to do it!
    Sophiekins Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2008, 07:18 AM
    It isn't too bad. The dorms you are referring to vary depending on the base you got to for tech school and the squadron to which you are assigned. How many roommates you get depends on how many airmen are in your squadron. You can have anywhere from 0 to 4 or 5. Your room usually has a desk or two to allow you to study in privacy. You will have a wall locker to stow your belongings; in some extreme cases you will have to share a wall locker if your squadron is limited on space. You will be responsible for cleaning your room as will any roommates that you may have. You will also have either a hall chief or floor chief (another student; usually appointed by an MTL) to ensure that the cleanliness standards are enforced. And you will also have what are known as student leaders (we called them ropes); they are students also placed in positions of authority in order to maintain the rules and standards set forth by the Military and your individual squadron. You will be accountable to these student leaders since they often have the unfortunate task of carrying out your MTLs orders. You will also preform what are known as G.I. Parties (these are not like they imply); these "parties" are to ensure the cleanliness of your hall or floor that you live on. Everyone that resides on your floor or in your hallway will be required to fall out and help clean the halls and common areas such as the dayroom and the latrines.
    Each squadron has their own chowhall and in some case depending on the amount of airmen on T-shift they will also have a flight kitchen. The food isn't great but it isn't all that bad either the only real difference between the food at basic and the food at tech is you are actually awake enough and have enough time to taste it. In order to get to your classes for your chosen field you will march in flights to your school house or training hanger.
    You will have room inspections and depending on your MTL they may be daily, weekly or whenever they feel the need to perform a "Phase Raid" or a "Health and Welfare." With that said stick to your Phase. Phases are transition stages. Usually when you get to tech school you will be Phase one and you will not be allowed off base, out of uniform (i.e. allowed to wear your civilian clothes), you have an early curfew usually 9pm on weekdays and 9 or 10pm on weekends, and if you smoke you are also not permitted to smoke during this phase either. Usually Phase one lasts anywhere from two weeks to a month. If you do as you are told then you will phase up at your scheduled time. As you phase up you will gain privileges such the right to wear your civilian clothes and the right to go off base when you are not tasked for details or on your set shift for school (i.e. off duty).
    And don't decide that you have found the "love of your life" in tech school and get married in tech school (we often called this "tech school syndrome"). If you have thoughts of marriage wait until after you get to your next base to see if you really and truly cannot live with out that person. I can't how many times I heard that one of my buddies was getting a divorce from their so-called "soulmate." I'm not saying that finding your "soulmate" in a tech school setting can't happen but if they are your "soulmate" then at least wait long enough to find out; month long tech schools are not enough time to figure out if they are your soulmate.
    And finally you can determine what base you will be assigned to by what AFSC/Job you have chosen. I hope this information helps and if any part of it doesn't make sense let me know and I will do my best to explain it further.
    Miketrunda Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 05:22 AM
    I'm the Air Force right now and let me tell you boot camp may seem bad at first because they make it seem like you will go to war and die. Well at lest my Training instructor did and it scared the hell out of me. Got through basic and went to text for 6.5 months and I had fun actually as long as you know how to stay out of the lime light and know how to kiss a little bit when it is called for. If you take anything out of anything anyone said on this post, that is, MAKE SURE YOU PICK A JOB AND GET IT!! Do not go in open general and do not except any job you are not sure about cause once your in the Military there is no getting out (well there is but it is not good) and once you have a job there is no changing it for a long time. Make sure you pick something you will enjoy and look forward to doing. Me I had a job I hated and I couldn't quit like a normal job, I had to wake up every morning and do it all though I hated it so so much. It will make you go insane so take it from me and do something you will enjoy. The AF has so many jobs and a lot of them are technical and awesome with strong civilian employment opportunity. The Air Force can make a wonderful life or it can hurt you, so just do something you want to do and don't except anything but that. Trust me! Good luck and thanks for stepping up and wanted to serve our country, that only takes courage! God speed.
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

Jun 3, 2008, 04:51 PM
    I am considering the Army.

I will not be living in the dorms since I am a college student on the side.

Jun 4, 2008, 04:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hjpan
    I am considering the Army.

I will not be living in the dorms since I am a college student on the side.
    In the Army's case what the Air Force calls dorms the Army call barracks. And in basic training status and AIT status you will be required in most cases to stay in the barracks unless you have prior approval from your command to stay elsewhere. While you are in a training status your job will be your schooling and as far as the Army is concerned that will be what your life revolves around. But like I said if you get an AIT base where they let you take college courses while in a training status then you've got it pretty good. Good luck.

Jun 4, 2008, 04:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophiekins
    In the Army's case what the Air Force calls dorms the Army call barracks. And in basic training status and AIT status you will be required in most cases to stay in the barracks unless you have prior approval from your command to stay elsewhere. While you are in a training status your job will be your schooling and as far as the Army is concerned that will be what your life revolves around. But like I said if you get an AIT base where they let you take college courses while in a training status then you've got it pretty good. Good luck.
    I talked to ROTC & enlistment departments.

Jun 4, 2008, 05:38 AM
    I talked to ROTC & enlistment departments.
    When you say enlistment departments do you mean the recruiters office or something else? How are they going to ensure that you are able to continue your studies while in AIT? And are they going to allow you to continue your studies while in basic?

Jun 4, 2008, 04:26 PM
    When you say enlistment departments do you mean the recruiters office or something else? How are they going to ensure that you are able to continue your studies while in AIT? And are they going to allow you to continue your studies while in basic?
    When I say enlistment departments, I mean the enlistment office and the recruiter.
    It is not the enlistment papers that ensure me that I can continue my studies while at AIT. It is the ROTC contract that will keep in my school.

For basic, I will sign my ROTC contract first so I would not be drafted and then go to BCT.

Jun 5, 2008, 06:06 AM
    When I say enlistment departments, I mean the enlistment office and the recruiter.
    It is not the enlistment papers that ensure me that I can continue my studies while at AIT. It is the ROTC contract that will keep in my school.

For basic, I will sign my ROTC contract first so I would not be drafted and then go to BCT.
    So you will return to your school after you complete your training? And I wasn't aware that they instituted the draft again; when did that happen? Or was that just worded incorrectly?

Jun 5, 2008, 03:39 PM
    So you will return to your school after you complete your training? And I wasn't aware that they instituted the draft again; when did that happen? Or was that just worded incorrectly?
    The ROTC papers over-ride the enlistment papers

Jun 6, 2008, 06:04 AM
    I see. Interesting. I think you are first I have ever heard of that will be allowed to go to school while you are going to school for the Army. When I went through we didn't get that luxury. In fact we weren't allowed to go anywhere in Basic unless it was a scheduled appointment or we were sick. And in Tech (Air Force)/AIT (Army) we were not allowed until we were done with our training and had been sent to our next base and if we were within a year of being at our first base we had to have commander's approval. We were told that our first and only priority education wise was to the Air Force/Army and when we had done our training for them then we could think about pursuing other areas of study beyond our job description. It's nice to know that they are bending a little on that. So you will be allowed to do this in Basic and AIT or AIT only?

Jun 6, 2008, 09:45 PM
    I see. Interesting. I think you are first I have ever heard of that will be allowed to go to school while you are going to school for the Army. When I went through we didn't get that luxury. In fact we weren't allowed to go anywhere in Basic unless it was a scheduled appointment or we were sick. And in Tech (Air Force)/AIT (Army) we were not allowed until we were done with our training and had been sent to our next base and if we were within a year of being at our first base we had to have commander's approval. We were told that our first and only priority education wise was to the Air Force/Army and when we had done our training for them then we could think about pursuing other areas of study beyond our job description. It's nice to know that they are bending a little on that. So you will be allowed to do this in Basic and AIT or AIT only?
    I was told that I can do basic training first, finish another year of college, and complete my AIT when I have time.

But, I have to show up to drill once a month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is 7 old enough for boot camp? [ 55 Answers ]

I've had it. I'm ready to send my 7 year old to boot camp or the freakin Jerry Springer show. She is always stealing things from me and everyone else and lying all the time. I do not trust her. I tried to give her a chance on the trust thing and she failed. She takes things from her class mates at...

Football camp [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Maryland and I would like to put on a Youth football camp legally with out none or little cost out of my pocket.. and be none profit... how can I do this?

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

Searching For April Camp [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My Name Is Jennifer... I Am Searching For My Best Friend From Childhood To 8th Grade... she Went To Myrtle Beach, Sc To Be With Her Mom, And I Haven't Heard From Her Since Then... I Don't Know If She Is Dead Or Alive... I Have Been Trying To Find Her For Many Years, And I Have Had No Luck. I...

Camp Emergency [ 1 Answers ]

Well see I made Cheerleading at Brandenburg middle school in garland Texas and we go to camp to on June 16-19 at tcu and I so scard because I don't now what to do and what to bring??

View more questions Search