Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelaA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 12:28 PM
    My husband wants to adopt my daughter, but
    [F]
    My husband and I have been married for 2 years, my baby was 10 months old when we met. The biological father's wages are garnished each week for child support, but he doesn't cover any other responsibilities like day care or medical expenses. HE only sees her for about 12 hours a month. My husband has taken full responsibility as her father supports her financially, emotionally and financially. How does he get the rights to adopt her. The biological father refused to sign rights away because he doesn't want my husband to adopt her. When she was born he refused to sign the birth certificate so she has my last name and no father listed on the certificate, but there has been a paternity test to prove fatherhood.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 22, 2008, 12:43 PM
    You MUST have the biological father sign off on his rights.

Whether you like him or not, he is your child's father.

You'd have to prove he was an unfit parent before a judge to strip his rights away.

The tack you MIGHT want to try is that if he signed away his rights, AND your husband adopted, then he would no longer have to pay child support. But--he may just want to stay a part of his child's life, and if that's the case, then I doubt the money angle would work.

Your best bet is to talk to a family lawyer and see what they have to say.
    superlama Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelaA
    [F]
    My husband and I have been married for 2 years, my baby was 10 months old when we met. The biological father's wages are garnished each week for child support, but he doesn't cover any other responsibilities like day care or medical expenses. HE only sees her for about 12 hours a month. My husband has taken full responsibility as her father supports her financially, emotionally and financially. How does he get the rights to adopt her. The biological father refused to sign rights away because he doesn't want my husband to adopt her. When she was born he refused to sign the birth certificate so she has my last name and no father listed on the certificate, but there has been a paternity test to prove fatherhood.
    Take him to court
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Taking him to court won't accomplish anything. The bio father is paying support and he is maintaining a presence in the child's life. No court will terminate his rights unless he agrees to it.

The fact that your husband is willing to adopt does mean the courts will terminate rights, but only with his agreement. As Synnen suggested, you have the leverage that once your husband adopts, he will not longer be responsible for child support. You can even offer him a bone by allowing him to continue to see her on occasion. But you have to convince him to relinquish.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my husband adopt my daughter? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has wanted to adopt my daughter (who's 12) for some time now. Her bio father left when she was 5months old and did not pay any contributions for her care. He has had no contact with her since she was 2 ( we live in a different country now). How do I go about finding him and making the...

My husband wants to adopt my daughter? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the easies way for my husband to adopt my daughter? Her dad has nothing to do with her, he will sign over his rights cause he already said he would. So what is the cheapest and easiest way to do this. Thank you.

Husband wants to adopt my daughter [ 4 Answers ]

My ex husband has custody of my daughter which he is not the biologial father. I want to bring her home so bad. I got remarried and my now husband wants to adopt her. Are there any chances for us and if so, what would be the first step? Please somebody help us!!

Can my husband adopt my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father has nothing to do with her?

For my husband to adopt my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

I would like my husband to adopt my 4 yr old daughter, her real father doesn't pay me goes in and out of her life shows up one day to see her then goes months without calling or coming around, and has been in and out of jail has a voilet past, drinks, in and out of jobs and where he lives no...

View more questions Search