Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 02:01 PM
    Daylight time new dates
    I was on the NBS site to set my watch. The standard time notice reminded me we will be on daylight time longer starting this year. I am sure the old Mac I was using has no way of knowing it. Where is that information stored, and how do you change it? Could be a bigger mess than Y2K turned out to be. Windows instructions won't help me, but I am sure most of the people here will need them.
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jan 10, 2006, 02:04 PM
    Is this just US or UK too?
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 11:37 AM
    Don't know about the UK. For a long time most of the United States has moved their clocks forward an hour from late April until late October. Most opperating systems have a place to set the date, time, time zone and daylight/non daylight time. Once set, it automatically changes the time on the right date. However, this year, the US is using a different date. I know how to select daylight time on both my computers, but never saw any option to change the date it changes.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 12:12 PM
    labman, you are confussed.

President Bush's plan does not come into effect until March 2007. That is not this coming March, but 1 year this March.

Weblink reference for your convenience: http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

I should also add that some Canadian provinces have decided to join with the US on this (Ontario for example). I know that BC is considering it as well. And there was talk about getting rid of the Atlantic Time Zone by merging it with the Eastern Time Zone.

Also, the UK has chosen not to participate in this.

Frankly, my vote is to abolish Daylight Savings Time as they have done for countless years in SK.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 11, 2006, 03:29 PM
    Uk
    The UK is not effected by this as there clocks will only change on the same date every year ! And go backwards the same date every year...

Mind you come on they could do with less time-zones lmfao there are too many what with ET,PT,AT,CT and so on:D
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 04:37 PM
    After reading the good Captain's post, I took a break and went for a walk in the woods with my dog. Gave me time to figure out that the Mandrake 10 on this PC will be getting a little old by then. Likely there will be an update with a fix in time for it. Don't expect an update for Mac OS 7.6.1. or anything else that will run on a Power PC chip. May have to set it to standard time and change time zones.

My opinion of Daylight savings time? Let's not go there.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 11, 2006, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    LoL in Europe our clocks change to daylight savings because of the farmers and safer driving :confused: But you probley will find they will update a patch or something to tie you over before the ((time)) comes.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Not a fan of it either eh?

While in the US, primarily the South, Daylight Savings Time (DST) can be beneficial. However, here in the great white north, it does almost nothing except throw us off our sleeping schedules.

The worse is for babies. They are set to a certain sleeping schedule, and the 1 hr shift messes them up for a few days.
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nwsflash
    LoL in Europe our clocks change to daylight savings because of the farmers and safer driving :confused: But you probley will find they will update a patch or something to tie you over before the ((time)) comes.
    That is funny. Here the farmers hate it. Never understood why. They are going to work dawn to dark no mater what time us city folk keep.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daylight Savings changes & MS Dbs [ 2 Answers ]

With the standard beginning and end dates of daylight savings time changing next year, will any of the MS database products be affected? My site is still using Access 98, as well as 2000, SQL/Server 2000 and Oracle 10. My concern is really for the functions packaged with those database. Will they...

Can you have two wedding dates? [ 24 Answers ]

This seems like a silly question but I've been struggling with my (insane!) future in-laws for a while now. I'm getting married in July to a man I love and want to spend the rest of my life with, but his parents have gone completely bonkers over the wedding. They are of a different faith than I,...

Birth Dates [ 6 Answers ]

I have a friend who, if I tell him my birth date, can tell me what day of the week I was born on, but he won't tell me how it is done. Can you? Thank you.

View more questions Search