Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gadawgfan Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2006, 01:31 PM
    Best spyware and Virus Protection
    I just had to format my hdrive because my virus protection did not catch the viruses. I'm using V-Com that has ghost surf and the built in firewall. I was reading some of the previous posts and some of you sugguested running two virus programs at the same time. Would there be any conflicts doing this and could someone give me some ideas on the best way to protect yourself from all of the crap out there.

Thanks
    GADAWGFAN
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 10, 2006, 01:40 PM
    There are quite a few different opinions on this subject but every one agrees on patching and use of Anti virus and Anti spyware apps.

As you have recently reinstalled windows here are a few things you need to do

FULLY patch it with Windows Update
    Install Anti Virus, update and scan (AVG is good and free)
    Install Anti spyware, update and scan (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)
    Defrag.

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall..
    I would advise against using these so called Internet security suites as they can cause nothing but problems.
    Separate Anti virus and firewall is a must, if you are using a broadband than a Gateway/router setup would work well as they have in built hardware firewalls (loads better than software ones)

I always set Anti virus to KILL anything on detection, scan for spyware weekly (at least) and use Housecall monthly to be sure. I also defrag monthly as well.

Jan 10, 2006, 04:19 PM
    So do you think one antivirus program is enough. I know that V-Com package has let some virus get through and that's not good. After I got the viruses it would not remove them. WHAT IM I PAYING FOR - It surely don't fit my bill. What about using AVG along with AVAST and then use Adaware?

Thanks for your help

GDF
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 10, 2006, 04:33 PM
    You only need ONE installed Antivirus, but it never hurts to use a backup online one as well. Installing 2 can cause a serous system conflict and make it total unusable.
    Adaware is anti Spyware not anti virus so its safe to have more than one of these type of apps installed, I have 4 currently.

Jan 10, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Do you use all four spyware programs at the same time or leave one running and then use the others from time to time? What is one of the best antivirus programs I could use along with a firewall? I just want something that will catch the trogans and other crap and eliminate them before they infect my computer again. Also what do you think about windows firewall?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 04:58 AM
    2 virus running scanners at the same time = no, no, NO!

Quote Originally Posted by gadawgfan
    Do you use all four spyware programs at the same time or leave one running and then use the others from time to time?
    Only run 1 spyware removal program continually (if any at all). Personally, I think just doing a weekly scan with a couple of them is more than enough. Having them running constantly just sucks up resources.

What is one of the best antivirus programs I could use along with a firewall? I just want something that will catch the trogans and other crap and eliminate them before they infect my computer again.
    Any anti-virus will do. Anti-virus and firewalls are two separate programs that do totally separate things. Just make sure you have a good antivirus and a good firewall.

For some good Anti-virus programs, firewalls, etc. see this thread:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=7286.

Also what do you think about windows firewall?
    MS Firewall is not good enough on it's own. It only watches incoming traffic, not outgoing. So true nothing could send anything to your computer but it won't stop a nasty trojan that got in through your email sending out all your credit card details etc. Yet again, see the thread above.

For reference, here's my setup (all links in signature):

Anti-virus: Avast!
    Firewall: ZoneAlarm
    Spyware protection: Adaware & Spybot: S&D, ran occasionally.

Final note, the best way to avoid getting trojans etc. is to be careful - Don't open emails from people you don't know. Don't visit dodgy sites. If something pops up with a name you don't recognise - click no. Use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 06:13 AM
    Anti-Virus
    Hi,
    As mentioned by others, trying to run two different Antivirus Programs at the same time can really cause problems! Most installations will say to uninstall any other antivirus program before installing the new one.
    I highly recommend AVG, from http://www.grisoft.com.
    I got rid of Norton, in favor of AVG, and have not had one single issue with it operating system-wise, or have not had any viruses get passed it.
    As for spyware, Spyware Blaster, and the Microsoft Spyware Program, are both good. They stop spyware from getting into the computer in the first place; both has spyware "definitions" updates on a regular bases.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 14, 2006, 10:13 PM
    DISAGREE
    I hate to disagree curly but installing 2 Anti Virus programs is fine, as long as 1 of them is not Mcafee or Norton, they only have problems, with others, because the makers of both, want all your business and don't want you going anywhere else.

You install Ewido and Nod32 or Kaspersky with or Pc tools anti virus in any combination and you would have no trouble at all, but ad norton or mcafee and you would get warning signs pop up all over.

And what 1 does not catch or find a 2nd might, and have you been to the Virus Bulletin lately and checked out the success rate of AVg, it's not bad, but it's free, and in this case you get what you pay for, at best a fair 3rd line of defense in an Anti virus protection program.

And Trend is a good online scan also Panda has a solid and Ewido has an excellent Malware scanner, I think Kaspersky has an online scan also.

At different times when I was uninformed enough to use Mcafee or Norton, I would still get viruses, in some cases, both would become unusable in some case, actually dismantled by the virus, I download and scan with Ewido or Nod or Kaspersky, or Pc Tools and they would clean me out immediately.

That's why I got rid of Mcafee and Norton, and they are system resource hogs, and in some cases take over too much, and I've read Mcafee 2006, causes constant restarts on many systems, in other forums I have read.

Good luck, GAw with your problems

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Virus/spyware infection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, my PC was recently infected with a virus. Now I am a regular user of Crap Cleaner and Ad-Aware (I use both at least twice weekly), but my anti-virus protection was lacking. Anyway I used Norton 2006 to try and rid my PC of the virus but found it largely ineffective. I'm now using Zone...

Possible virus/spyware issue [ 8 Answers ]

I just can't seem to keep our PC's clean! This one appears to be my fault for a change. I downloaded 3DMark2001 SE tonight, and when I installed it, it wouldn't work. Then I decided to run Norton AV and it crashes every time when it hits my download file on my desktop about halfway through. ...

Norton Anti Virus Protection [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone use this, if so, I need help. I know that with window updates, you need to download all critical updates. I assumed the same to be true with this program. Guys I normally use the computer in my office, that is maintained by a computer department. So I am learning the hard way. As...

Is BackWeb a virus, spyware, or adware [ 2 Answers ]

I've heard that 90% of computers are infected with BackWeb. Does anyone have any information on BackWeb? Is BackWeb a virus, spyware, or adware?

View more questions Search