Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reddog Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 11:41 PM
    Retail pricing law
    Is retailer responsible for their error? Is them making a mistake acceptable? Is it legal to be quoted a price on an item and then be charged a higher price at checkout register?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog
    Is retailer responsible for their error? Is them making a mistake acceptable? Is it legal to be quoted a price on an item and then be charged a higher price at checkout register?

Yes.
    No.
    No.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2008, 08:20 PM
    No
    Yes
    Yes
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2008, 09:10 PM
    Laws on retail laws are all state laws in the US, ( have no idea where you live, US, Canada, Mexico, England,? )
    But in general, first is the price told to you or was it a price marked on the shelf. Also what sort of mistake, if the item is a 1000.00 item and it was advertised by error for 100.00 often no they can not be forced to sell it at that, if it was a error ( at least in my state and most places) but if there is a history of them advertising them wrong, showing a habit of doing this, then they may be held liable in court.

So often there is no exact answer in many states.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2008, 09:12 PM
    Reddog - I will say (YES) (YES) (NO ) But you MUST stick to your guns or other wise they will get you to pay the higher price I had a good one with walmart a few months ago. I stoppedBY to get a couple new tires,that morning and they had 2 my size for my truck ,big signs on inside of tires( Close out price $ 50.00, Mounted & balanced, new valve stems . Well latter in the day stopped by to pay up and get my truck. Well they said that the tires were $89.00 each, Plus$40.00= $218.00 Plus tax 421.26= $ 239.86 total It should have been - $50.00+ 50.00 =$100.00+ tax 49.75 = $109.75 total, Then the war started, when the mag. Finnly got back to the tire dept,it was just about to become ww3. The employes were calling me a lier ,etc. etc. The girl employ I had delt with that morning just stood there and would'nt say anything ,even when I pointed her out to mgm. It ended up the mgm. Went my way. I got the tires for the proper price. So hold your guns, it's only a big ripoff, when they can get away with it. Good Day God Bless::: f.B.E.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog
    Hello red:

Of course a retailer is responsible for his mistake. Aren't you responsible for yours? We ALL make errors. However, they're acceptable only if management corrects them. NO, it's not legal for them rip you off. I can't imagine why anyone would think it is...

excon
    reddog Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Thank you, that's what I thought. So why do retailers refuse to do so and then turn the situation around in a negative way to the customer and threaten to call the police to have them removed from their building? Is there anything legally that the customer can do except what the police told me to do next time, which was just to leave and just shop somewhere else?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Because they don't want to lose money because of their mistake. Nor might it be their mistake. Lets say you are in a clothing store and pick up this nice item off the clearance rack marked 50% off. But when you take it to the register, they tell you its not a clearance item. Well they can't be held responsible if someone moved it to the clearance rack. However, if something has an incorrect price tag affixed to it, they have to honor. It.

As an aside to Eagle, I don't quite understand. If you stopped by any store and left your car to have new tires put on, they should have FIRST written you up a sales order specifying the price. Why would you leave your truck without one?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Hello again, red:

Because clerks aren't trained very well and the cops don't know the law.

If all that happened is that you were talked to by the cops and you got your OVERCHARGE back, then I'd just shop somewhere else. You certainly don't have grounds for a lawsuit.

excon
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2008, 11:04 PM
    ScottGem & Excon & reddog - There was a ticket written up for the 2 new tires, and as I said ( there was card board [WHITE} inside the round opening of the tire, {WRERE THE RIM FITS INSIDE TIRE}, as a whole lot of other tires just on outside of the doors of their garage, the signs on the two that I wanted strickly said (CLOSE OUT PRICE $ 50.00 ) How much plainer can that be?? The GIRL working there pulled the price things out and wrote up the ticket, BUT durning the debate over the price of the tires { SHE NEVER SAID A WORD< EVEN WHEN I SAID TO MGM> AND POINTED HER OUT> "OH" BY the none of the 4 work there anymore, I haven't seen them since, ( OTHER WALMART STORES IN THIS AREA ALL HAD THE SAME TIRES THAT I GOT FOR THE SAME PRICE OF CLOSEOUT PRICE- $ 50.00.) AT different times I have checked there closeout, sale items in a special area and there would even be store price tags on items and when you go threw check out you here ( OH NO THE REGS> COMP> HAS THIS PRICE .) IF an ITEM you are trying to purchase has a price tag on it or on the shelf with others and shelf tag has item no. & and bar code as the item , THEY DO HAVE TO SELL IT FOR THAT PRICE< OR THEY CAN BE SUED FOR FALSE ADVERTISEING> I hope this helps ,Anyone that comes across this in any store. NOT to long ago they had a special on the news about how stores rip people off this way and what you can do about it if they do not make it right, a lot of the mgm's. Interviued said (Quote) we just missed that item on the coump.of changing the price . This was in GROCERY STORES < DEPT STORES . THIS can and should be reported to your state ,{" Consumers Affires," the" BBB") GOOD LUCK YOUAL, have a good day and GOD BLESS, Hello _ EXCON- are you sure that you did'nt drink some of GRANNYS REMATISSIM MEDIOCRENE?? HA HA ,YOUR FRIEND ::F.B.E.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 24, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle
    There was a ticket written up for the 2 new tires,
    You aren't addressing the issue. If there was a ticket written up at the time you left the truck, then that ticket should have reflected the $50 price. So there should not have been any issue when you went to pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bond Pricing [ 2 Answers ]

You have just purchased a 12-year, $1,000 par value bond. The coupon rate on this bond is 11 percent annually, with interest being paid each 6 months. If you expect to earn a 12 percent simple rate of return on this bond, how much did you pay for it?

Pricing jobs [ 1 Answers ]

I've just about started up in business and was wondering does anybody know how to go about the pricing side for cleaning offices pubs/clubs etc I don't want to phone around any of my competitives as I find it to be nerve racking and they ask to many questions so please any help on this would be...

Concrete pricing [ 1 Answers ]

I need concrete prices on 2000, 2500, 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500, 5000, 5500, & 6000 psi. I need it for phoenix, chicago, and huston.

Help With Pricing [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about starting a cleaning business. Cleaning empty apartments and real estate houses. I'm not sure how to price these jobs and wondered if anyone could offer any information? Many thanks,

View more questions Search