Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stumpd4now Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 09:18 AM
    401K frozen account
    The company that I work for was purchased by a publicly held corporation. At the time of purchase they froze the 401K account from any additional investing that had existed with the prior company. All employees were able to invest into the new corporations existing 401K immediately. I have been told by our new HR that the money in the old 401K cannot be rolled over or removed under any circumstances. I was recently informed by an unbiased source that since the account is frozen or essentially dead, the employees are free to rollover the funds if desired. Does anyone have any accurate information on this?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 22, 2008, 10:41 AM
    I could see where the old 401(k) acount may be frozen for a short period while the administrator cleaned up records for the transition to the new plan, but no way should the old plan be frozen for more than a couple of weeks at most. You should be able to roll the amounts from your old plan into an IRA with no hassle. I suggest that you contact the plan administrator for clarification - not your HR person.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2008, 11:37 AM
    I agree with ebaines. If the new company is terminating the old plan by switching all employees over to the their plan, then IRS rules require that the funds be eligible for rollover, either into the new plan or into personal IRAs.

I would suggest that you tell this HR person to check with the IRS before the company is sued for violating IRS rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen account [ 7 Answers ]

I just found out that my account was frozen for a lawsuit about an apartment. I have bills to pay, and my paycheck was automatically deposited tonight. How do I unfreeze my account, and why do they freeze your account when they garnish your wages?

Frozen account [ 3 Answers ]

The office of the attorney general froze our accounts. What happens to all of the checks that have not cleared the bank?

Frozen account [ 1 Answers ]

Young man 20 years old has back account frozen. Due to his grandmother doing some fraud through her own acct. She is on his because he need her to sign when he set up. No wrongful activity took place through his acct as confirmed by bank. No notification was given. Bank advises they froze all...

Account frozen [ 1 Answers ]

My Account Was Frozen Around 3 Days Ago. But The Account Is Not Only In My Name, It's In One Of My Older Kids Name To. There Name Is First And Then It's Mine. How Can They Take All The Money From Their If Half Belongs To My Kid. Is There Anyway They Can Get Their Moneys Back.

Account frozen [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hope I am doing this right. Just found out over the Internet my Bank account has been Frozen. Not mush in it I get ssi.going to call the Bank when they, I don't knon anybody I own, But I am very upset? Thank for your answer. Pat:(

View more questions Search