Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjmdnd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Installing a water cut off to unused space/to prevent frozen pipes.
    I recently asked a plumber to install a cut off to water going upstairs... to save money by not heating the unused space and to reduce the chance of frozen pipes. His cut off only worked for a bar sink directly above the cut off (he put it on top of the hot water heater). The bathroom at the opposite corner is still flowing. How can I help him find where it comes in... shouldn't he know how?? Is there a better plan for preventing frozen pipes?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Yes he should have know because he should have checked his work before accepting payment and leaving. POipes in older homes sometimes are like a plate of spagetti going every which way. Your up stairs may have been an addition after the house was built.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Are you sure you hired a real air breathing plumber?

I do not believe that you can simply install a cut-off to protect the water from freezing. In fact, that's probably the worst thing you can do.

If you do that and don't drain both hot and cold legs of all water the water will sit in pipe and as it freezes it will burst the pipe. You of course won't notice this until you turn the water back on and then discover your upstairs pool.

You want the upstairs water supplies "Winterized to protect them from water damage." A plumber should know what he needs to do, without your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen water pipes [ 3 Answers ]

My pipes froze and now that there thawed out all I get is brownis colored water. What is the problem??

How do we prevent air bubbles from getting into our pipes? [ 1 Answers ]

Setup: We have one well pump, two houses, both 30 years old. Well has plenty of water, and pump is well below the water table. Pressure is OK. Pump is new, but air in pipes issue preceded its recent replacement. There is a pressure tank at the well, kept at 40-60 psi,and another at the higher...

Maybe frozen pipes causing no water to toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Temperature was 29 degrees when we had no power for two days and no water for 3 days. When power and water was turned back on, the bathroom flushed OK for about 3 times. Then it stopped filling with water and will not flush. The bathroom sink has water coming in right next to the toilet. Could...

Frozen pipes - detecting burst pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Cold side of the kitchen faucet was frozen this a.m. Trickle returned this evening, followed by an immediate drop in hot faucet pressure - then some brownish water - the brownish water lasted 20 seconds - but the pressure is still low 1/3 pressure now and can get both some hot and some cold Have...

Frozen pipes [ 2 Answers ]

What can i do when my water pipe appears to be frozen

View more questions Search