Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rj0828 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Banging in hot water boiler
    Hi, I have a burham boiler that is 20 years old. Last year I started to get a banging noise from it and it is now getting louder. What might it be and how can I get rid of it? Thanks!! Ron
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 21, 2008, 06:57 AM
    When was it serviced last? You could be experiencing thermo-shock. Your boiler pressure may not be correct. You could have a blockage or a build up of sediment inside the water jacket. You could also have a bad circulator. Time to call in the troops!

Jan 21, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! It was seviced last year - he said everything looked fine. Actually, I had 2 people look at it. My regular plumber wasn't sure what it was and wanted to replace it and even put in new circulars. A little overkill. An HVAC I used before thought it was build up and he heard of a product called "boil a coil". He had never used it and wasn't sure it would solve my problem. I was afraid using it.

Jan 21, 2008, 07:22 AM
    The longer you can let a boiler cleaner stay in the boiler the better. Flush it out very good or it will foam up and cause the boiler to run high pressures and release the pressure relief valve. It's OK to use.

Jan 21, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Thanks ! I'll see if I can get some and try. It seems like it would be hard thing to do though, right?

Jan 21, 2008, 08:17 AM
    If you know how to do it, no. If you have doubts, get a service tech to do it.

Jan 21, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Thanks again!! Great job!! Have a good one

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banging noise when hot water baseboard turn on [ 11 Answers ]

My hot water baseboard system was bleeded two weeks ago when the water flowing noise was heard. Now, every time when heat turn on, there are several big bang noise from the pipes on my second floor. Please tell me what is going on and what I should do? I last week, I changed new expansion...

Banging noise when water pump comes on/off [ 2 Answers ]

We live on a well. Recently, there is a banging noise that occurs when the water pump comes on. The pump is in the well and the noise happens because the incoming pipe moves violently when the pumps cuts in and when it cuts out. We have lived at the house for 6 years and this just started. I...

Banging Boiler Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Private Message: Re: Help with Banging Pipes? Today, 04:33 PM RickVeguilla New Member Join Date: Feb 2007 Location: Rhode Island,USA Posts: 1 Re: Help with Banging Pipes?

Vibrating (Banging) Water Pipes (Water Running) [ 2 Answers ]

When upstairs tub valve is opened for the first time in the evening, loud banging noise sometimes ensues from pipes. Banging is alleviated when supply is redirected to showerhead, or when water is turned off. Single-handle Pegasus (Home Depot) valve. No issues when supply is off (not "water...

Pipe banging other than water hammer? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, Recently the pipes in our house have started banging. My initial thoughts were loosely hanging pipes or water hammer. I secured the pipes better/tighter with hangers, but the problem continues. Water hammer would be a possible idea, except it only seems to happen from the toilet pipes...

View more questions Search