Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bignjhammer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Smell Invading Home
    We moved into our 35 year old house 3 years ago. Ever since we moved in, we have experienced and suffered from a rotten egg type smell intermittently. Sometimes we can go a month without smelling it, other times we smell it for three days in a row. We can't locate the source as it quickly spreads through most of the house (basement, main floor Living and dining rooms, upstairs bedrooms). It does not appear to be coming from either of the bathrooms. The only thing we can determine is it seems to be mostly at the front of the house on all levels. All bath, toilets and sinks are used on a regular basis. We have tried dumping bleach down all the drains and letting it sit overnight. That didn't works as we smelled "the smell" the next night. We had a plumber come in and do a smoke test from the outside cleanout by the sidewalk. I thought that would find something. The test did not reveal any leaks. My wife and I are pulling our hair out trying to resolve this. We don't know if this smell is harmful. We have a newborn and we are already paranoid. So far, no professional has been able to help us. Any enlightenment would greatly be appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 10, 2006, 07:50 AM
    "intermittently" is a word a plumber hates to hear. If something's working at the time we check then it's unfixable as long as it keeps operating. Having said that, any thing I say will be a guess.
    Has anyone considered backdrafts that can send sewer gas BACK INTO your system instead of taking it out? They make a back draft preventer that fits over the roof vent,(see image) that just might solve your problem. Good luck, Tom
    bignjhammer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2006, 10:52 AM
    Thanks for your input. Where can you get these backdraft preventers. (The image is very small, I can't make it out.)

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer gas smell coming from vents in home. [ 2 Answers ]

About a month ago a bad smell started coming from our venting inside our home. It smelled like a big toilet. We had someone come look inside our venting and nothing. We had someone come and check our furnace and nothing. And It doesn't smell everyday either.. right now it smells terrible but...

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Gas smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem that my plumber has been unable to fix on a couple of occasions. Very simply put, soon after I turn on the shower, a couple of minutes or so, I get a terrible rotten egg (sewer gas?) smell. I can't tell if it starts when it starts steaming up or just because. Shower is used...

Smell after AC is ran. [ 2 Answers ]

I been getting a strange smell after the AC is ran almost like a gaseous smell, we been redoing the hardwood floors and trying to keep well ventilated with windows open and AC on to keep humidity down. I check all the gas lines with my meter for leaks and none found, could this smell be freon? Or...

Rotten-egg / sewage smell in home [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've been experiencing a rotten-egg / sewage smell in my home. It occurs mainly in the summertime but it is not constant. The smell seems to be stirred up by two simultaneous events: (1) running water down the kitchen sink, and (2) the central air-conditioning kicking on. It is...

View more questions Search