Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnny_dev Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2006, 08:51 PM
    Advise Needed: Pay in full or settle?
    I am trying to improve my credit score to get it as close to perfect credit as possible. All of my accounts are positive except for one. They are all either closed/paid in full or never late (from auto loans to credit cards). I only have one account that went to collection for the amount of approx $350, from SprintPCS. I never paid it because their bill was full of falsified charges. I fought it but eventually let it slip and it went to collection. Since this was approx 2 years ago, I think it is too late to try and fight and get it removed from the report, as I have no evidence. Am I wrong?

So what I want to do something about it ASAP and I think I only have 2 options. Pay it in full and accept all the falsified charges by Sprint PCS or settle with the collection agency for 50-60% of the balance. I tried making the collection agency an offer that if I paid it in full they would remove it completely from the credit report so that it shows I was never in collection, but they did not accept it.

What should I do? I prefer to pay Sprint PCS the least amount possible because they are robbing me, but I care about my credit more than the money. Is it better to pay it in full so that the credit report shows "paid in full" or does it not matter at all? Will one increase my score more than the other?

Thanks for any advise.

Johnny
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Wrong on the first count. You can dispute the entry to the Credit Bureau, simply "I dispute the accuracy of this entry" and the Credit Bureau will require that Sprint prove it is valid. If Sprint does not or can not, then it will be removed from your report.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2006, 07:08 AM
    I had an unpaid mobile phone bill on 'Orange' go to collection for a phone that (as far as I knew) had been cancelled (by me) in Feb last year - having started a new contract on another network 'O2'. I fought and fought 'Orange' - but the company were no help to me what so ever. It then went to the collection company and I had 2 days to try and sort it out (yet again) with Orange - why should I pay a bill for a phone I had not used for a year??

They issued me with a £50.00 reduction as a goodwill gesture but refused to let me off the rest of the payment. So as a result I had to pay (although it was £50.00 less) - it was still a lot of money - plus I had had so many other problems caused because of the companies incompetence. God knows what my credit rating is like now?

My advice try and fight it?? Don't give up? Just get some extra time from the collection company. Inform them of what your doing and make sure you send them any correspondance (such as letters faxes emails) etc - so they are kept up to date and so it is used as proof. Make sure you get all your facts sraight going right back to when it started. This company should have kept everything on record so don't give up.
    johnny_dev Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Wrong on the first count. You can dispute the entry to the Credit Bureau, simply "I dispute the accuracy of this entry" and the Credit Bureau will require that Sprint prove it is valid. If Sprint does not or can not, then it will be removed from your report.
    Thanks! I'll give it a shot. But won't Sprint turn around and simply give the credit bureaus the last invoice which is full of falsified charges and they will consider that as proof? Should I be more specific in my dispute and specify the charges are false?

Thanks!

Johnny
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 10, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Normally you have 30 days to dispute any collections,and most times you can negotiate a settlement with them, and if you do you better keep your end of the agreement.If you Google Bud Hibbs and check his website he can give you some invaluable advice on your rights for free!Good luck!:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which is better settle in full or paid in full [ 20 Answers ]

I had a discover card opened when I was a young adult with my father(about eight years ago). As of a 18 months ago he stop paying on it even though the charges were made by him. Now I'm trying to take a step towards business ventures and this and some other things are on my credit are present. I...

Starting to settle down... [ 8 Answers ]

:rolleyes: hi, everyone! I just turned 21 last June and I have a 6-month old daughter.. she's really wonderful and she's the funniest person I know. =) I'm pretty OK with how my life is, so far... my boyfriend's (26 y/o) great, we have plans of getting married in 2 years. And we've been...

Advise [ 17 Answers ]

Hello. I'm new to this forum. Well my situations goes like this, my ex girlfriend broke off the relationship of two years. Its been three months since the breakup. Well the first month I kind of had some sort of contact with her through calls, e-mails. Then I decieded to go the NC way because it...

View more questions Search