Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2008, 11:08 PM
    Can a defated tire cause damage?
    If a tire was deflated, but the cars owner knew and it was only deflated for maybe a half hour and the owner only had to drive across the street to re-inflate the tire, is it possible that any damage could have been done to the car. The owner of the car is claiming that the cars suspension and the tire that was deflated (not even entirely deflated) were bth damaged during this poorly planned prank. Is that even possible though?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 11:11 PM
    My guess is that it would cause the rim to be bent before damage to the suspension.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 04:16 AM
    I drove on a flat for 5 miles. Don't ask. No damage to rim except cosmetic. Tire, that's another story.

With aluminum rims, the story might be different.

I've also had a bent rim from a nasty pot hole.

And I've flexed a rim enough to loose a hubcap.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2008, 05:47 AM
    Chances are only the rim may have some damage, usually cosmetic if only driving a short distance and also you mentioned that the tire was not entirely flat. So I would guess he or she is blowing smoke, had previously damaged the suspension and wanting someone else to foot the bill.
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Is he driving it at all??
    If he is you need to try and keep a record of it and prove that he is because then you can prove that he contributed most of the problem with his still driving it while it was bad.

Too bad you most more than likely didn't catch the mileage when you did this.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2008, 03:59 PM
    He called me (about 10-15 minutes after) telling me that I ruined his suspension and tires (then had to ask which tire I'd delfated. I guess he couldn't figure out it was the flat one... ). Then he hung up on me and when I called back after to find out if it was true all he said was not to call again and hung up on me again. Then he told a mutual friend the next day that I had ruined his shocks. I looked all over online to see if I could find anything saying that the damage he's supposedly claiming could be true. I couldn't so I came here to ask and so far everyne is supporting what I've found, that I couldn't have hurt the suspsenion. So now I'm not expecting him to come to me telling me I need to pay for damages but at least if he does I know that I need to talk to is mechanic before writing a check
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Exactly as long as the mechanic isn't just saying stuff cause they are friends or something.
    It takes a lot to mess up shocks. He is making up stuff. He needs to prove otherwise don't give into his rants.
    rpxtreme Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 06:03 PM
    It will not hurt the suspension at all that I would think but may cause the wall of the tire to rip and it could also cause the valve stem to break there shold be no other damage of any sort... maybe cosmetic to the rim but as long as it wasn't completley flat it should be OK!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 06:08 PM
    It can damage the rims, and serious damage to the tire. Now if he aired the tire up, it is possible damage to the tire is making the car feel "bumpy" also it could have caused some of the balance weights to come off, which would have it out of balance, also making it feel as a bad ride.

So remember at this point, you did a criminal act, so you will be on the defense. While he has to prove his damage in court ( both civil and criminal) remember if this is a jury, they will be thinking about you doing this to tthier car and they will not see any humor in it. So if you want to trust your money or fate to 6 or12 people who would judge you, I know I would not. Often the silly panks can get way out of hand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bicycle Tire [ 3 Answers ]

I have an almost new (400 mile) Michelin Erilium bicycle tire in which the wire bead separated from the side of the tire. The tire was pressurized to 112 pounds. What woulod cause this failure? :mad:

What size tire should I get? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra it currently has 265/70/17 I would like to know what would be the biggest tire size that I could go to without having to make any alterations to the truck, I really want to keep it stock (no lift kits, maybe a leveling kit) and want to keep my 17s really don't want to have...

Tire size [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 with the off road package. My tires now are 265/70/17. I was wanting to know how big of a tire could I get without scrubbing or causing any damage. The tires I have now look like bicycle tires. They just don't fill the gap.

Tire rim [ 1 Answers ]

Had tires put on at sears. Motorist started telling my rear tire was wobbling. Found out aluminum rim was bent. Sear told because I didn't balance The rear tires, that caused the rim to get bent. Is this true

Discount Tire [ 3 Answers ]

Hey everyone I had bent my rim and I took it to Discount Tire to get it fixed. They sent it off to Cali to get re chromed and fixed. They told me it would take 2-3 weeks and told my husband 3-4 weeks. The job actually took 3 months, they gave me a discount on it and were really rude because they...

View more questions Search