Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    triles84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Lien on bank account for child support
    I just found out that there is a lien against my bank account for child support. How can this be? I am the primary account holder on this account. The person that owes childsuport is just on the account. Will the lien be raised from my account.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Possibly; the answer will depend on the law of your state, and whether because of joint ownership the funds can be claimed by a creditor of either owner. I would expect that you will have an opportunity to show what funds in the account are yours; this would be in court. In the meantime, stop all further automatic deposits and withdrawals until you get matters cleared up. In fact, I would bank somewhere else.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 08:30 PM
    If the other person is on the account in most states all you have to do is prove which of the funds in that account is your funds and which funds in the account belong to the other person. So as noted, don't deposit any more money, don't write anymore checks or withdraws ( these will all bounce for now adding bank charges) If you can show that it is your money not theirs, in most states that should free up your part of the money
    fayedavis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 06:46 AM
    I am going threw getting the lien off my account. And the funny thing is the guy it is agest is NOT on my account at all! How do they have a right to take from my kids? Me an my kids are going to live off 5 dollars for a month that's all I have left its pritty stupied that they took 1370.46 from my kids but there there to HELP? Right it don't look like it. What can I do anyone?
    Moor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2012, 08:03 PM
    You can probably sue the group taking the money out of your account. If the person has never been on your account they should never been able to remove money from your account. I would talk with a lawyer or try and talk with the group removing the money from your account. Tell them you will sue if the money is not return. The bank should have the court order for them to have removed any money from your account. I am sure you can sue for hardship and a few other things to get more money.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 28, 2012, 04:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moor View Post
    You can probably sue the group taking the money out of your account. If the person has never been on your account they should never been able to remove money from your account. I would talk with a lawyer or try and talk with the group removing the money from your account. Tell them you will sue if the money is not return. The bank should have the court order for them to have removed any money from your account. I am sure you can sue for hardship and a few other things to get more money.
    This is the law forum. We have a different standard here. Please be more careful in the future when answering questions in this section. We try not to "guess".

The OP stated the other party was on their checking account. The debt was for child support. If the other party was in arrears then the entity making the attatchment was well within the law. There is nothing to sue over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien placed on bank account for back child support payments [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about removing a lien placed on a bank account for back child support?

Child Support Lien on bank account [ 22 Answers ]

We discovered this evening that our bank accounts were frozen by child support. We have had no notification of this from anyone. My husband has 3 children from his previous marriage About 2.5 years ago my husband lost his job due to serious illness when he got a new job the salary was...

Bank account garishment for child support [ 4 Answers ]

Can they take every penny out of your account and put you in a negative. Thank you This is in ohio:eek:

Bank account garishment for child support [ 1 Answers ]

Can they take every penny out of your account and put you in a negative. Thank you This is in Ohio

View more questions Search