Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nvus Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2006, 06:18 PM
    comp freezes... everyday
    ever since my monitor issue (no signal) went away... my comp has been freezing everyday since... it doesn't freeze just once a day... it freezes at least 2 times a day... this happens at random also... it froze today for maybe the 3rd time but this time my computer made a continuous beeeeeeeeeep so I shut it off... anyone know what could be the matteR?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 9, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Sounds like a serious hardware issue, could be something as simple as overheating or could be a lot worse.

To make sure it isn't overheating you need to make sure that the machine has good airflow around it, so remove all papers etc, that normally end up on top of the box.
    Also it would be wise to invest in some tinned air as this is the safest way of removing muck and dust of the inside.(You'll need to open the box and blow it out) DON'T use a vacuum or anything with a metal tube as you will only make the problem worse.

Jan 10, 2006, 05:02 AM
    Hmm thanks a lot for the reply... and about the "papers on top of my computer" I actually have my printer on top of it.. not safe? o.O... I got a new case also and my brother didn't put in the back fan (exhaust I believe)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 10, 2006, 05:05 AM
    Both the printer and lack of fan could be causing your thermal problems.

You really need to resite your printer and get the exhaust fan installed.
    Overheating, if left untreated, can get very serious. I welded an AMD chip to a motherboard due to the CPU fan failing ;) One very dead computer and unhappy me :(
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2006, 05:19 AM
    Clean out
    Hi,
    Good answers.
    I will add the following:
    If you are going to "open up" your computer; i.e. remove the case, be careful.
    After removing the case, touch the side of the computer to discharge any static electricity from your body. Static electricity can "fry" computer parts!
    I use a can of compressed air; available from department stores, or computer stores, to blow out dust, gathered around the and on, the fan blades.
    As Curlyben called it "tinned air", it's the same thing.
    Your computer really needs all it's fan operating, to keep it cool.

Jan 13, 2006, 06:25 PM
    OK well I resited my printer and installed the exhaust fan and I still get the problem... it seems when I'm downloading multiple items it would freeze... or maybe a coincidence? Because one time I wasn't downloading at all it froze... but usually when I'm downloading multiple items (at least 2) then after about a min or 2 it would freeze... btw I use limewire to download the music... after uninstalling limewire I noticed it didn't freeze at all for the whole day.. but then it froze once the next day and that was it... I installed limewire again and started to DL music again (like 5 at a time) and it froze... rebooted, opened limewire, started my DLs back... froze again... uninstalled limewire (no DLs) and no more freeze... so it's either limewire or the multi-dowloads?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 13, 2006, 07:04 PM
    I agree with Curlyben -- especially in light of your previous problem, this is probably a hardware issue.

If you have eliminate overheating (which is the most likely cause, and something you should investigate thoroughly), you'll want to use the process of elimination to determine what hardware is causing the problem.

Disconnect any non-essential hardware.
    Try repacing hardware with any spare parts you have or can borrow. Don't forget the PSU.

There is a software memory tester available at http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip
    Unzip and burn the image to a CD and boot from it. Let the test run for about 5 minutes, if you see errors, your memory is (probably) bad.

;)
    psi42
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 13, 2006, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by psi42
    I agree with Curlyben -- especially in light of your previous problem, this is probably a hardware issue.

If you have eliminate overheating (which is the most likely cause, and something you should investigate thoroughly), you'll want to use the process of elimination to determine what hardware is causing the problem.

Disconnect any non-essential hardware.
    Try repacing hardware with any spare parts you have or can borrow. Don't forget the PSU.

There is a software memory tester available at http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip
    Unzip and burn the image to a CD and boot from it. Let the test run for about 5 minutes, if you see errors, your memory is (probably) bad.

;)
    psi42
    Was told that I gave out too much rep today, so I'll thank you for the great link here and rate you later. Thanks again.
    I was in the hospital and had to catch up with over 60 messages, so glad to be back home and in contact with my 'family' here again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking up a AMp to a comp... [ 4 Answers ]

I have heard nothing about hooking up a amp to a computer... I have pulled the ittle computer amp out of the computer... so how would I hook up an amp and subs to it... or just subs?

Pitt mix poops in crate everyday [ 7 Answers ]

:rolleyes: So, I have a 3 1/2 month old pitt bull mix puppy, Maddox. I have had him since he was 8 weeks, so about a month and a half. I got him from the local animal shelter. He has had a crate since the first day, but for about the first week, he slept in my bed with me. I realized that for...

?A Birthday Party Everyday? (Unknown Book Title) [ 1 Answers ]

There was a children's book I read in the mid-eighties; its title I cannot recall. The main character is a dog who lives alone on a hill. On his birthday, he invites all of his friends to a party at which they all eat peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches (important detail ;) ). He enjoys...

DSO Exploit, IE doesn't start, Saving my settings freezes comp... [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I've multiple issues going on that were not happening before. I run Win XP SP2 with two firewalls, NAV 2005 - never had any issues until this started happening while I left comp on for 2 hours without watching. If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Here are the symptompts: -...

View more questions Search