Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Either any old way---everything is mostly to her favor even if she has to hand him back a piece of jewelry and a few bucks.

*edit---as someone said the receipts for birthday and holiday gifts should prove by the date that they were meant as a gift unless they were bought way ahead of time. And I think mraquino21's point basically was if you bought him gifts too then it was a mutual you gave/he gave and the Judge won't want to sort it all out----another bonus in your favor.

You have nothing to worry.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mraquino21
    That's okay. I didn't explain myself. Earlier she said he might be taking her to court. Usually in that situation the judge wants to see proof that he bought them. If she has the reciepts and he doesn't and if she didn't want to volunteer that information it would just make it harder for him to prove he bought them and it would probably get thrown out. Regardless, with them being gifts it will probably get thrown out like someone had stated earlier. But no I am not for lieing or saying that she lie.

Whoops - cut myself off! I was going to say that when it comes to civil court there is no "grey" area. It's either black or it's white. As I said, the receipts have little to do with anything. Maybe he just didn't save the receipts.

But knowing you have the receipts, having the receipts become an issue and not "volunteering" the info - I think you are at best misrepresenting the situation to the Court.
    bre4uask Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 02:27 PM
    WOW okay, no I would never lie in court. I did buy him some things but nothing very expensive because I don't come from a wealthy family like he does. I never asked for anything back. I don't want to keep my stuff because I am a GOLD DIGGER but because they were bought for me. Also I have a lot of stuff on my PC that I don't want to loose. I don't understand why I would have to give anything back if they were gifts. If you know what I mean. Everything seems blown out of proportion.
    alyssarox32 Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bre4uask
    My former boyfreind says he wants to take me to court. When we were dating he bought me alot of expensive things and now he wants them back or the money he paid for. Can he do this if they were gifts? :confused:
    He can't make you pay him for the things HE gave you. They were gifts. Yes, he can take them back if he has receipts and such but he can't make you pay. That's absurd!
    mraquino21 Posts: 81, Reputation: 7

Jan 21, 2008, 02:30 PM
    WOW okay, no i would never lie in court. I did buy him some things but nothing very expensive because i dont come from a wealthy family like he does. I never asked for anything back. I dont want to keep my stuff because i am a GOLD DIGGER but because they were bought for me. Also I have alot of stuff on my pc that I dont want to loose. I dont understand why i would have to give anything back if they were gifts. If you know what i mean. Everything seems blown out of proportion.

I agree with you about this getting blown out of porportion. I never said anything about lying. In fact I said I don't agree with lying. Shoot I even got a red mark for asking you a question even if the question doesn't really matter or not. I am sorry I even asked now.
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 02:41 PM
    WOW okay, no i would never lie in court. I did buy him some things but nothing very expensive because i dont come from a wealthy family like he does. I never asked for anything back. I dont want to keep my stuff because i am a GOLD DIGGER but because they were bought for me. Also I have alot of stuff on my pc that I dont want to loose. I dont understand why i would have to give anything back if they were gifts. If you know what i mean. Everything seems blown out of proportion.

Then IF he decides to sue you - and if everybody who threatened to sue actually did the Courts would be backed up far more than they are - go to Court and explain these were all gifts. Let HIM explain that he was "lending" things to you - sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Because it is a ridiculous argument on his part. You have explained why you have the receipts - let him explain his version of the "loan" of various items but you have the receipt - again, he'll sound petty and ridiculous.

No thought you're a gold digger - and whether you did or didn't buy HIM gifts and whether you did or did not demand their return has no bearing. You're not suing (in theory); he is.

Let's regroup here - I never said YOU would lie; I thought the suggestion was that you SHOULD lie (or be evasive) and that's not a good idea.

I don't think you have to give anything back. Of course, I think he's not really going to sue you.

In fact, I'd tell him to stop threatening me and leave me alone -
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 02:43 PM
    N0help4u agrees: No it was a good ? A mutual she gave/he gave --the Judge won't want to sort it all out --to her favor

What she did or did not give him has no bearing - she's not suing; he is - unless she countersues. I'd be amazed if a Judge even entertained the notion that these were somehow reciprocal gifts. (Of course, Judges amaze me all the time!)
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2008, 07:38 PM
    I think you asked an excellent question. I hope it did not sound like I was calling you a gold digger... I was only trying to offer suggestions so that you wouldn't have to worry about him or his acquaintances viewing things in that way. I think he is extremely rude to ask/expect to get things back which indicates to me that he tries to buy people's love.

My opinion is that you have a right to keep it all if you want. Sounds like a lot of sour grapes on his part. He might not even bother trying to go to court... He probably just likes having some power over you by threatening to do it. Tell him to put his money where his mouth is... Maybe he'll learn not to try to buy people's affections in the future. Basically, that seems to be what the situation boils down to. If you don't mind the harassment, and all the talk and hassles, it's your decision.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 09:45 PM
    Sounds like he's mad about the breakup and wants to "punish" you by trying to scare you with all the money and power he thinks he has (or his parents have). Like Oneguy says, maybe he'll try not to keep "buying" another person's affection. Probably has done this before, so don't feel so bad about this situation.
    bre4uask Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 10:47 PM
    He most likely has.. Thanks for all your advice! I love this site=)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-boyfriend owes me money by verbal agreement [ 10 Answers ]

My ex-boyfriend didn't work for 2 years and he kept borrowing money from me to pay his rent, phone & TV bills. I helped him out with food and spending money and let him use my car all the time but when it came to rent he would ask to borrow money and swear he'd pay me back when he got a job. I...

Old boyfriend and money [ 2 Answers ]

A former boyfirend gave me money when I needed it and did not want me to worry about paying it back. No written contracts. What he really wanted was to control and own me. So I escaped from his creepy clutches but not without emotional scars and fear from his stories of how he can get back at...

Real Estate contract with no earnest money after it is stated, is it legal? [ 7 Answers ]

HI: I have a contract with a buyer to purchase my home and he stated in it that he would give me $20. As earnest money - he has given me none - is this a binding contract? This is a long story but my house went into a sheriff sale and I had 12 days to redeem, because I got this investor...

Boyfriend, vacation and money matters [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have this question about 'boyfriend and money', I guess here is where it fits best. I wanted to go on this trip, but my boyfriend didn't have money. So I said I'd pay for everything. (It's the 2nd trip I'm paying for). This time, it's a gift for his birthday. Now almost everything...

Does my ex-boyfriend have any legal rights to my daughter? [ 6 Answers ]

Is there any legal rights to my daughters father? He hasn't seen her in 6 years and now he wants to be in her life. She has me her mother her sister and a step father. She only knows her step father as her only father. My fiancé would like to adopt her. Is there anyway he can if were not married...

View more questions Search