Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicolajones24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Hot water downstairs but not upstairs
    Over the weekend the water has failed to run hot upstairs but still manages to run hot downstairs. Even the shower is freezing. Does anybody know what could be causing this?

Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Please confirm that there is NO HOT water coming from both the sink and shower. I have had people forget to run the sink long enough to actually say no hot water at sink... check this and let us know back here.. we will see what we can come up with.

Also, how long have you lived at this home... and what kind of hot water heating system.. Gas..? Oil..? tank..? tankless..
    nicolajones24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Both the sink and shower runs cold. I ran both for about 5 minutes and initially it comes out warm but after about 3 seconds turns cold. I've lived at my house for 18 months. We have a gas boiler, it was only fitted 12 months ago. Thanks for responding so quickly
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 06:51 AM
    I have to wonder if it is possible that you have an instantaneous water heater or a separate water heating source for your second floor bathroom... sounds silly... but you describe a unique situation if you only have one source to heat all water in house (and all is hot except 2nd floor) and full water pressure coming out of the hot water sides of the faucet/valve.

You have a gas boiler heating the water?. is that a tankless system... a storage tank system (indirect -fried water heater)... please advise.

Try this real quick... chase hot water line back into water heating source... then use closest sink and follow the hot water over to the sink as it gets to it. Then close the cold water valve into the water heating source and check the upstairs bathroom to see if water is coming out of the valve/faucet.

Maybe a bypass valve got closed back at the water heating source... look for that as well... you know, a connection between hot and cold pipe with a shutoff.

Get back to us.
    simon666 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 10:22 AM
    I have no hot water in my upstairs shower, I have hot water in the sink. I have hot water downstairs also... any ideas? I have a gas boiler.
    Carla Dauch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 04:17 PM
    I have a oil heating tank in our basement, house built in 1940. We have been here for 5 months.
    No hot water in showers or sinks unless heat is on but we only have a limited supply of hot water.
    What can we do?
    Carla Dauch
    [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Downstairs drains gurgling, suds come up from upstairs [ 5 Answers ]

Is my roof vent clogged? The downstairs drains in the kitchen and bathroom sinks gurgle and suds come up in them from the upstairs sinks when they are drained. Also the downstairs toilet makes a big bubble when flushed, and needs flushing twice. Advice, please.

No cold water upstairs, OK downstairs. Hot OK everywhere [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first time on this board. Hello. The above title is pretty explanatory, happened in my home today. Why should this be? I have run the cold tap downstairs to see if it will run dry but it is fine. Hot OK too. Happened this morning. Thames water have no cut offs. Any takers?

Hot water downstairs but not upstairs [ 5 Answers ]

I'm not getting hot water upstairs but I am downstiars. If I switch the shower on the run the tap upstairs at the same time the water gets warm but not hot but downstairs its really hot water:confused:

Upstairs too hot, downstairs too cold [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story house built in 1949 that has a forced air heating and air conditioning system. Of the 4 rooms upstairs, the 2 largest ones do not get cool enough. At the same time, the first floor is plenty cool and the basement is frigid. What is the most cost-effective and simple way to...

Downstairs Leak from Upstairs Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Our upstairs shower is apparently leaking into our dining room directly below it. It looks like the previous homeowner attempted to fix the problem as there is a hole in the dining room celing that was filled with plaster. I'm sure it's the shower, because it only leaks when the shower is on. ...

View more questions Search