Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carolinakelly Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jan 20, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Water everywhere
    I live in a house built in 1960 something. The washing machine is on the enclosed back porch where washer/dryer hook-ups are. When I do a load of laundry, the water backs up into my tub. Seemed to be OK because it always drained quickly from tub. Now it is clogging, and the bottom of the toilet is leaking water, (where the toilet bolts to the floor),also bubbles come up in toilet bowl . I have cleaned debris from the tub drain with a pronged device that cleared a gob of hair out and it's OK for a few weeks, but I never had the toilet leak until a few days ago. The floor of the porch is about 8 inches lower than the tub. I think I should snake the drains but am unsure where to start. I appreciate any help. Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 12:26 PM
    I am afraid to say that your main drain line may be clogged. I wonder if your home is on a slab or if you have a full basement? If you are on a slab there should be a main drain cleanout either in your home under the stairs or just outside the foundation (it should be on street side of building anyway)... see if you can locate that and open it... then flood your system and see if it backs up out the cleanout... if so, then will need to rent a snake or call a sewer cleaning company (do not hesitate to call your local plumbing inspector and see what /who he recommends... see, in some towns they still clear the main sewer lines free of charge! ). If cannot find cleanout OR if line does not backup at the cleanouts mentioned then I would lift the toilet and again, flood the system and see if overflows out the toilet pipe.. if it does then you would start snaking the drain line here.

If you do this yourself be careful as a sewer snake big and powerful enough to clear a main sewer drain line could potentially hurt you if used improperly... just be careful and wear safety glasses and leather gloves!! Good luck and let us know how it works out or if you have any more questions!

If my answer was helpful please RATE MY ANSWER by clicking on the RATE THE ANSWER button below. Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Low hot water pressure through the whole house even ater replacing water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I'm still experiencing low hot water pressure even after replacing the water heater. When you first turn on the faucets the pressure will be fine but within a few seconds it drops again.

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

View more questions Search