Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 9, 2006, 05:04 PM
    Compact Fluorescent Spring Lamps
    Hi all,

I've noticed that certain brands of compact fluorescent light bulbs (sometimes called "spring lamps" because of the way the bulb is shaped) will light up immediately upon flipping the switch (like a regular incandescent bulb), while others, such as GE, will have a noticeable "lag time" until they light up (usually less than a second, but it's long enough to be annoying nonetheless).

Does anyone have any experience with this - i.e. can you tell me, to the best of your knowledge, what brands are good (that light up right away) and what brands to avoid?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2006, 05:57 PM
    Can't say what brand they are, but I have bought several 5/$11 packs at Home Depot and had good luck with them. Put 3 in the kitchen light over a year ago, and my wife hasn't caught me putting slow lighting fluoresents in it yet. None of them have burned out. I am also putting them in the Exit signs at my church. Always on, they last about a year, reducing complaints about exit lights out. I just picked up a 4/$8 pack at Lowe's, but to get it open, I cut the top with the brand on it off. These are the best prices I have seen. Go for it.

I eliminated flickering incandescents by switching from GE to ''Brite Time''. One of several market leaders I avoid.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 9, 2006, 06:16 PM
    OK thanks, I'll check 'em out.

BTW, does Lowe's/Home Depot have the same return policy for light bulbs as they do for everything else?
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jan 10, 2006, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmMP3
    OK thanks, I'll check 'em out.

BTW, does Lowe's/Home Depot have the same return policy for light bulbs as they do for everything else?
    Not sure, I figure I was able to return a used treated 2x6... so I would imagine with a bit of tact anything can go back :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 12:09 PM
    I looked at one of my older HD bulbs. It says Commercial Electric. I thought about taking back some of my bulbs that must be nearing the end of their life, but that would be dishonest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compact fluorescent lamps in ceiling fans [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible to use compact fluorescent lamps in a Continental Hunter fan (model 23843) and also two Hunter Allendale fans (model 28023)? Also would like to use them in my Hampton Bay Huntington 2 fan (3 lights)? Thank you...

Fluorescent dimmer [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard that dimmer switches should not be used with fluorescent lights (kitchen). True or not? I haven't found anything in the books that I have. Are there dimmer switches made just for fluorescents? Thanks for the help. Jersey

Natural spring? [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I just recently bought a house and after Monday's torrential rainstorm my basement and garage were flooded. I was told by my neighbors that I have a "natural spring" under my house. What does that mean? Am I always going to have water in my finished basement? What can I do to fix this problem?

View more questions Search