Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 20, 2008, 04:35 AM
    Anyone know how to make German Strudels?
    My Grandma used to make the best German strudels. We really miss having them, and never got her recipe:( These are not the Apple Strudel dessert type of strudels. They are a dough that is streched until really thin and then rolled (as in a cinnamon roll) and boiled and afterwards fried, and then usually served with pork and sauerkraut and gravy... yummy! If anyone out there has a recipe and knows the technique, we could enjoy Grandma's food again! :) Also, if anyone has a good recipe for Knepfla. (I kind of know how to make them, but they never taste the same! ) Mine seem to turn out a little gooey after boiling, and then a little tough after fried. :rolleyes:
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Jan 20, 2008, 05:15 AM
    Is this it?

Spaetzle Recipe: Recipes: Food Network
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 20, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Thanks for trying, but no. They are different than spaetzle. My Grandma used to knead and throw it kind of like pizza dough, and then I remember her flouring the kitchen table and puttin oil on the dough and stretching it until it was almost paper thin. Then she rolled it up and cut it into about 2" slices, and boiled it till they rose to the top, and then put them in a frying pan with butter, and then added the pork, beef (whatever she had on hand) with some bacon usually and let everything get crispy. Sooo good! The Knepfla is a little like the spaetzle, but not really the same. I just can't get the dough recipe right for them. The Knepfla ( or as Grandma used to call them Knipfles) is a whole lot easier to make and less time comsuming... kind of like the spaetzle, but just not as good as the strudels for sure! I wonder if there's a recipe line to heaven... lol... it would sure help! I've looked everywhere on the food network, and a lot of places on the internet and just can't seem to come up with anything! I'm making myself hungry now, haha!
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Jan 20, 2008, 05:33 AM
    Good luck in finding it... sorry this wasn't helpful. I will continue to look for it online... I would now like to try these myself, lol.

Thanks for the Google challenge! :)

New one: Oodles of strudels: Chefs move away from traditional pastry to incorporate this 'whirlpool' into entrees, appetizers - Culinary Currents | Nation's Restaurant News | Find Articles at BNET.com articles have helpful info in them

The phyllo dough is also found as filo and fillo
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 20, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Thank you so much! The site was interesting. I am going to send it to my mom too, and maybe between all of us we can come up with something reasonably similar to Grandma's :)
    conniehg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 12:06 PM
    I know the type of strudel you are speaking of, my grandmother made the same thing. Recipe I have is from a cookbook created by German women from the ND area. There are 2 ways to make the strudel one with yeast and one with baking powder. Grandma used the baking powder recipe as I recall.

German Strudel
    1/2 pkg yeast
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt 1/2 c warm water
    1 egg beaten
    1- 3/4 c flour
    Mix all the ingredients and let raise one hour. Divide into 4 parts, let rest 1/2 hour, stretch paper thin. Roll up and cut. Drop in boiling broth of water, oil and salt. Boil until done.

What you remember on fry them up in the pan is the left overs. Grandma would pan fry the left overs the next day.

The other recipe is smaller recipe enough for 3 and does not use yeast.

2 c flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    Warm water

Make medium dough. Roll out like Kuchen (size of pie crust) Spread butter on it. Let set for 1 hour and then stretch paper thin. Then roll and cut in pieces approx 2". Cook in boiling water with some shortening for added for approx half and hour. Cook on medium low heat with a tightly covered skillet.

Hope this helps. Have Fun!
    fortetyson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2012, 07:04 AM
    Did you ever find the recipe you were talking about? It sounds just like the one I'm looking for so I'm very interested
    buschjb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2013, 02:40 PM
    My mother just gave me the recipe from my childhood... I have not tried it yet but here is what she sent...

Beat 2 eggs and 1 and half cups milk. Add flour and pinch of salt and tiny pinch of baking powder. Enough flour to make a fairly stiff dough. Work it on the Counter until it is smooth. Form into balls and let sit on counter covered with upside down bowl. After a while (at least 30 mins) roll into circle warm oil And spread over the rolled dough. Begin to tug at the ends to start the stretching process. You can bake them on top of diced potatoes about 40 minutes or so. You can also cook them in a heavy skillet or electric frying pan by well greasing the bottom, adding the strdels then adding about half cup of water. Cover with Well fitting lid and cook medium heat or lower for about 20 minutes. Don't lift lid until done. Take occational sniff to see if they are cooking too fast.

These can also be baked on top of chicken and rice.

LOL

Jonathan
    myathecook Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2013, 07:01 AM
    My aunts made this and just taught me. Knead together 4 cups of flour, about 1 tsp salt, and enough warm water to make a soft - not sticky - dough. Divide into 4 parts. Roll out like pie crust and smear melted lard (room temperature) on top. Let rest 15-20 minutes then repeat about 6 times until dough is elastic. Stretch each of the 4 pieces of dough (start from the middle) until paper thin. Then fold each dough several times lengthwise. Then cut into 3-4 inch pieces. Have a pot on the stove with onions, potatoes, and pork ribs that are about 3/4 cooked. Place strudels on top, but don't let them get wet. Cover and cook over low-medium heat for 45 minutes. To serve, top with sour cream that has chopped cucumbers, a little sugar, and a little vinegar in it.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

German Passport if Married to German [ 2 Answers ]

I am married to a German. I am holder of a Lebanese Passport. My Wife and I live outside Germany. Can I get the German Passport?

Grandparents were German Jews - Can I get a German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I know a few years ago there was a program that allowed children and grandchildren of Holocaust-era German Jews to apply and receive German passports. I cannot find any information about this on the internet, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My father's parents both...

German [ 5 Answers ]

How Do I Say : Hi, How Are You? In German

View more questions Search