Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbruce3336 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 01:50 AM
    How can I manualy defrost my heat pump
    I did it last year but I don't remember what I did. I remember making a jumper wire and jumping 2 terminals together with a jumper wire on the circuit board on the outside unit. Can anyone help me with this... Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 06:52 AM
    If you did this last year and do not remember it will be risky to try to tell you now. You do not want to jump the wrong two wires for fear of causing other damage. If that same person is around that told you how to do it I would ask them or find the post on the board from last year. Most all heat pumps are a little different as to the control setup so it would be a guess on my part to try and help you. Sorry.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Turn on the air conditioner to cool and remove one wire to the fan in the outside unit, this will be the same as an automatic defrost, do not leave in this condition any longer then necessary to remove the ice. Turn off power before removing wire to fan and tape off so as not to short out. Good luck, Mike
    djman152 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2010, 08:34 AM
    If by chance you have a Trane Heat Pump there are 4 pins at the bottom of the defrost control board in the shape of a pyramid. The top one is common. The one on the far left is the 'Force Defrost Cycle'. When you jumper these two pins the defrost cycle should initiate. Remove the jumper as soon as the cycle starts. It should complete in less than 10 minutes. The LED on the PCB should normally flash once per second. If the LED is off or you can not force a defrost cycle using the jumper the defrost control PCB is probably bad. The are available on the internet and are easy to replace. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

20 yr old Lennox heat pump fan blows constantly in heat mode [ 5 Answers ]

20 year old Lennox heat pump - outside temps been 30's at night, 40's daytime UPDATE: I went outside and the unit is covered in frost on 3 sides! I've been reading on Google about frosted heat pump units and can't determine how to manually defrost it. Apparently, the auto defrost is not...

Carrier heat pump works fine so far, won't go into defrost mode [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrie heat pump that is working fine so far. It still provide heat for my home. It just dose not go in to defrost mode to defrost the out side unit. I have read to put the unit in auxialry mode to get a few extra defrost cycles in, but when I read the flash codes it never say anything...

Heat Pump defrost cycle [ 1 Answers ]

Hopefully my question isn't redundant. Earlier this year I changed my thermostat from a manual to a programmable thermostat. The cooling and heating aspects seem to work fine but I have noticed that during the defrost cycle the aux heat doesn't appear to come on since I changed the thermostat. ...

Ductless A/C with Heat Pump - Heat pump does not come on [ 1 Answers ]

Hi The A/C works great but in the morning when its cool outside and I switch on the Heat the indoor unit makes a clicking sound and the fan stays off - after about 8 minutes I switch to A/C I get a rush of ice cold air along with some mist. Seems like when I switch to heat the indoor unit...

View more questions Search