Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Muriatic acid
    What does one do with 3 quarts unused from a gallon container (bought at Sears)?

How long can the 3 quarts be stored safely in the plastic container?
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jan 19, 2008, 11:25 PM
    Give it to someone with a swimming pool to reduce the PH of the water, or give it to someone for etching their garage concrete floor prior to coating with epoxy. If it is diluted with substantial amounts of water, I suppoe that it could be put down the drain. Great care must be taken when mixing the acid with water. Never add water to acid; add the acid to water. I don't know how long the plastic container will last, but I have seen gallon bottles of muriatic acid more than a couple or three years old without any deterioration of the container.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Or you could give it to me or anyone who owns an aluminum boat. We use muratic to clean boat hulls. It should store in the original container for 6 months or longer. However, make sure the cap is tight and it is not near any metal shelf or container. Last but not least you could fill your laundry tub and add the 3 quarts to the water. Winfields sewer pipes will love it.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 09:43 PM
    It can be neutralized with lye or baking soda and then disposed of down the drain. The question is how much. You can always get some PH test paper, I suppose. A PH of 7 is neutral. If you know someone with an aquarium, they could show you how to test.

Household Hazardous waste disposal.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2008, 06:27 AM
    There are a number of uses for muriatic acid, just a few mentioned here already. Do you live in a brick home? If so you can use it to clean around the base of the home to remove algea, and stains. Be sure to follow all safety precautions.

Jan 21, 2008, 07:43 AM
    The acid could be diluted and used to reduce the alkalinity of your flower beds. There are a number of plants that love low PH soil.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 08:00 AM
    I sometimes use Muriatic Acid when I am refinishing brass. Please give it to me! I am not sure of the shelf life of Muriatic Acid.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 09:04 AM
    I have two one-gallon bottles leftover from my pool construction. One is full and the other is about half. They are both over a year old. The labels have fallen off but I've saved the labels and have relabeled the bottles with a black marker.
    Shelf-life? I haven't tested the effectiveness of the contents, but a slight and very judicious whiff indicates that it is in fact still good stuff.
    Come summer, I will be repainting the garage floor and plan to use some to etch the concrete. I will keep you informed.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Hey Cap, that stuff will be good for your purposes for quite some time. I don't keep it over 6 months because it can leak fumes through that little paper gasket even with the lid closed. I saw rust forming inside my metal cabinet where I store gas and other stuff the grandkids need to stay away from. The rust was just right at the bottle and a chemistry teacher friend of mine explained about the fumes.

Jan 21, 2008, 02:30 PM
    I believe that Jeffrey Dahmer used acid to dispose of unwanted parts. The uses seem unlimited for this compound.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Hey Cap, that stuff will be good for your purposes for quite some time. I don't keep it over 6 months because it can leak fumes through that little paper gasket even with the lid closed. I saw rust forming inside my metal cabinet where I store gas and other stuff the grandkids need to stay away from. The rust was just right at the bottle and a chemistry teacher friend of mine explained about the fumes.
    I keep it stored outside, away from the house, in a $10 plastic locker. I've heard plenty of horror stories. Thank you for your words of warning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acid did not go down [ 5 Answers ]

I was told by the guy at the hardware store that if plunging and using a snake don't work, try sulfuric acid. I bought a bottle and followed the instructions, but it didn't seem to work. The instructions say to flush five times when the drain is open, but I don't think it is and I'm afraid of...

Muriatic Acid [ 3 Answers ]

I have got muriatic acid to get rid of efflorescence in my concrete floor, so now I'm just wondering about a safe disposal method after I finish with what I need? Can I pour this down the drain?

Acid and bases [ 2 Answers ]

How high must a metal be in the reactivity series for it to react with an acid to given hydrogen gas? Chemical formula for Sodium carbonate + sulphuric acid → sodium sulphate + water + carbon dioxide:

Folic Acid [ 6 Answers ]

Hello to you, and thank you for taking the time to review and answer my question – This is really an amazing site!! I just found out that I’m pregnant; and have been taking 800mcg of Folic Acid for about two weeks now. I read somewhere that it helps with the development of the fetus (brain) –...

View more questions Search