Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creeps Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 07:58 PM
    What is labor union and what is advantages and disadvantages of it?
    What is labor union and what is advantages and disadvantages of it?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2008, 11:46 PM
    There's different pros and cons to labor unions. In some industry's I believe that they are still necessary (nurses union, coal miner's union, writer's union). In other industries (grocery stores), I personally think they're a rip off. Most labor unions require an initial fee and then monthly dues. In return, you get certain benefits (insurance, longer lunches, it's harder for you to be fired, organized strikes, additional retirement). I'm personally totally against grocery store unions because I worked at a union grocery store when I was 16 and they basically wanted me to give them 1/4 of my paycheck (remember, I was 16 and working like 20 hrs max at just above minimum wage) and I wasn't even getting anything in return because I was still on my parents health insurance and the state requires that I get an unpaid lunch and a 10 minute break or every 4 hours (what the union garunteed me). I guess maybe if you're older and have a family to support or something a grocery store union might be worthwhile. And it certainly seems important in other industries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advantages and Disadvantages [ 1 Answers ]

What are some advantages and disadvantages of GDP (Gross Domestic Product)?:confused:

The advantages and disadvantages of union membership for retail workers. [ 1 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of union membership for retail workers?

Union advantages and disadvantages [ 2 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of being a union member?

Advantages and disadvantages of Sponsorship [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know about the advantages and disadvantages of sponsorship? And why is important to businesses?

Advantages and disadvantages [ 7 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of being a union member

View more questions Search