Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Electric car <-> grid
    I found an interesting article on using the batteries in electric cars to back up the electric grid. Of course, we must have electric cars to do it. But doing so, could make the pay back for electric cars better. It is in the 7 Jan 08 issue of Forbes magazine, ''A Light bulb Goes ON'' by Joann Muller. It should be available at www.forbes.com Monday. The idea is charge up the cars at night when demand is low, and then feed power back in peak periods or outages. Understand I don't buy this completely, but want to see what some others have to say. A Toyota Scion can discharge 19 kw to the house and on to the grid. Now the quoted figure of a house using 1.5 kw seems low to me. Still, my 6 kw generator had no problems the only outage since I had it hooked up.

With the problems of generators back feeding the grid, I wonder about hundreds of cars. Of course, the power company would be in charge of the switching, and wouldn't be using suicide cords.

They claim it would work even with the afternoon power peak hitting just before afternoon rush hour.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 06:44 PM
    The Conversion is not cost effective, Sun to 12? Volts, 12? Volts through inverter to Electric co. I would use solar panel to charge Car, Excess is sent back to coop, you still have your vehicle.
    DC or electric cars are not free, Electricity cost money to charge. A solar panel(s) can make it free. If you are not using Battery Car, then sell back to elec co.
    Personally I like 12 Volt lighting , fans, communications, everything on 12 volts.
    Solars charge 12 volts, everything runs 12 volts. Many Possibilitys especially in remote locations. I am a Electrical Contractor, but love 12 volts because everything works on it, alarm systems, cameras, everything, Once at 12 volts, Keep at 12 volts, unless it requires 120/240 volts, Inverters lose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cottage power, no grid.yet [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, I have a cottage. There isn't electricity where it is yet and I want to have power. I've been doing some research and I would like to use a generator. Preferibly a propane generator so I could use the propane for other uses like cooking or aux heat when wood is low. But there'll be times...

Electric again [ 20 Answers ]

Oh my gosh I am going nuts,first I thought it was fixed. Had the Electric Company come ,they fixed their problem, but they say now all my stuff is pretty well shot outside at the pole. Inside if Im on the computer and the heat or fridge turns on all the lights get real real dim computer shuts...

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

5th grade math-equivalent fractions-diagonal grid [ 0 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to use a Diagonal Grid Paper to find out Equivalent Fractions on 5/8 and 1/4. Very confused... This is 5th grade math on equivalent fractions. There a 8 answers on each sheet with a grid paper attached to show your work. Skateboarders Mom

View more questions Search