Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shewholvs Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Dirrerent Sects of Judaism
    What are the Different Sects of Judaism.

Thank you :)
    PolluxCastor Posts: 117, Reputation: 5

Jan 19, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Have you tried Google?

Jan 19, 2008, 11:11 AM
    I have had a very difficult time trying to find the answers. Thank you for responding.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Something like this? Jewish denominations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just searched for "Judaism sect".

Jan 19, 2008, 11:17 AM
    I will try that thank you very much.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jan 27, 2008, 06:47 PM
    1. Orthodox (several sub-sects)-

Ranges from modern centrists to ultra-orthodox following Jewish law.

Orthodox Judaism

2. Conservative-

Less observant than Orthodox with a modern Americanized cultural identity. Began as a response to the Reform movement.

Conservative Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Reform-

Actually the second oldest sect next to Orthodoxy. Started in Germany and popularized in the US, permits the adherents to be as observant (or not) as the individual desires. Still has basic life cycles observed, however has made circumcision optional and is permitting of those desiring homosexual lifestyles.

*Addendum: See follow-up discussion concerning halacha, "It would be more accurate to say that each sect has a differing interpretation of halacha."

Reform Judaism

4. Reconstructionist-

Emphasizes that Judaism evolves with the times. Even less observant than the Reform. Holds to some traditions, but does not require members to be adherent to Jewish law; controversial theistic position.

Reconstructionist Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Post Denominational-

More out of a response to the Reform movement. Does not endorse homosexual lifestyles and same sex unions. Traditional to all life cycles yet is less observant to Jewish law than the Conservative movement. This is where I have my membership when attending. www.adatami.com|Index

http://www.kehilathadar.org/Aboutus/jpost02-11-05.html

Sidenote: Some might consider the controversial Secular Humanistic Judaism a sect although non-theistic, the participants from what I've read are born Jews, ethnically. I don't know the actual numbers involved in the organization are growth rate.

Humanistic Judaism Homepage

Bobby
    ZachZ Posts: 71, Reputation: 8

Jan 27, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Bobby, I disagree with you characterizing different sects as more or less 'observant' than others, for example categorizing Reform as 'less observant' than Orthodox. The difference isn't in the level of 'observance' but rather each sect's interpretation of what constitutes binding law. In fact, you can consider an Orthodox Jew who doesn't always quite get around to laying tefillin every day as less observant than a Reform Jew who never lays tefillin, but does not consider laying tefillin binding law. It would be more accurate to say that each sect has a differing interpretation of halacha.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jan 27, 2008, 09:09 PM
    I don't disagree with you concerning the halacha subject. However I find it difficult to put into words especially considering the picking and choosing what parts of the law some movements see fit to follow or as relevant. I chose to infer to how frum (observant) in general compared to fully practicing Rabbinical Judaism using Orthodox as a standard mainly because it's older. And Baruch ha-Shem!. I've always thought of my mother, a Reform Jewess, as a very spiritual person. I personally do not observe halacha to the fullest extent (not even near) nor see being bound to it on whole as necessary. But I also want to be clear that I have a great respect though for my Orthodox adherent peers, not to be misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by ZachZ
    It would be more accurate to say that each sect has a differing interpretation of halacha.
    I agree. That's a better way of putting it. Thanks Zach.

Bobby
    tokm-nikita Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Sep 18, 2008, 02:47 PM
    I would like to point out that anything that reeks of reformism isn't really Judaism.

If any of you would disagree with me (as I know you will), please let's talk about it in another 150-200 years from now.
    tokm-nikita Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Sep 18, 2008, 02:50 PM
    The different movements and sects of halacha-true Judaism are sadly underrepresented in the above answers.

Try this:
    Chassidic (Lubavich, Satmer, Gur, Belz, etc.)
    Mizrachi (mainly in Israel, zionists)
    Misnagdim (Ponovitch, Mir, Telz)
    Oilamishe (not Chassidic or Misnagdim)
    Yecki (from German descent)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reform Judaism [ 22 Answers ]

I wish to convert to Judaism, but my greatest fear is circumcision. I did a little bit of reseach, and I found out that Judaism has a branch called "reform Judaism", but I also read that it is not accepted by the more conservative Jews. Should I convert or remain religionless but uncut? It is my...

Judaism, different sects [ 7 Answers ]

Different sects of Judaism

Converstion to Judaism [ 5 Answers ]

How long does the conversion process to judaism taken by a reformed rabbi take?

Assignment on Judaism [ 2 Answers ]

I do not know if I submitted the question that I asked properly, so I will resubmitted it. The question is that I need information about the History of Key Sacred Texts? This is an assignment to create a PowerPoint Presentation geared towards a younger person (9-14) about Judaism. There is more if...

Judaism [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find information concerning the History of Key Sacred Texts of Judaism?and how would I teach this information to a younger person between the ages of 9-14?

View more questions Search