Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dreamscometrue Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Filing Tax Returns for a J-1 visa holder
    Dear Tax Experts:

I am a J-1 visa holder,(single, have no dependants and no one can claim me as a dependant) Based on this status I am employed by a company. I filled out appropriate documents when I commenced my job. I worked for two months only last year 2007. (November and December).

My employer withheld Federal and state taxes, and also first month withheld social security and medicare taxes. I did some research and found out that I am exempt from a social security and medicare taxes. My employer, then did not pay me back for the withheld social and medicare tax.

Now I received a form W7 to file a tax return. Please advise me how I should do it?
    How much tax return will I receive?

Many thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Actually, you received a W-2.

You need to file as a non-resident alien, probably Form 1040NR-EZ.

Get the FICA tax refund refusal in writing. You can then submit Form 843 (see page 48 of ORS Pub 519) to get those taxes refunded.

Note that Form 843 is submitted separate from your annual tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Returns for L1A Visa Holder with spouse & 3years Kid [ 7 Answers ]

Raj: I am Raj from India entered and working in US from Aug '06 through L1A visa. My spouse(not working) & kid(less than 3 years) joined me in Oct '06 through L2 visa. This is our first visit to US. I have a SSN but my spouse and Kid do not have SSN. I need to file my returns for 2006...

L1 visa holder - tax filing procedures [ 12 Answers ]

Hi I came to USA in march2007 with my wife and son. I am a L1 visa holder and my wife and son are in L2. Am I a resident or non resident alien? My wife doesn't work but has SSN . Am I eligible for Child Tax Credit? I want to ask which status we should file. Can we file jointly? Thank you

Married Filing Separately with G4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen married to a g4 visa holder at an international organization. She is exempt from US tax withholding. How do I file my tax return, married filing separately? Does this make me ineligable for education tax credits?

L1 visa, filing tax returns for dependents, self [ 2 Answers ]

I was on L1 visa work permit in US, Foreign National from Jan 2006 - Mar 2006 and Jun 2006 - Sep 2006. My wife and my kid stayed with me for the entire period. She was on L2 visa. I have received my W2, and would like to know few things related to tax return 1) Was my wife eligible to apply...

Tax Returns for L1A Visa Holder [ 1 Answers ]

I am Juan from Mexico entered and working in US from Nov '06 through L1A visa. My spouse(not working) & two kids (less than 3 years) joined me in Nov '06 through L2 visa. This is our second visit to US since 2001-2003. I have a SSN, my spouse has an ITIN from her previous visit 2001-2003 and my...

View more questions Search