Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ihatewestseneca Posts: 325, Reputation: 67

Jan 19, 2008, 02:48 AM
    What are dreams exactly?
    How do people feel about dreams.. I dream all the time and its usually of my ex and I, and we're back together... I don't take this dream to heart because I consider myself a pretty rational guy. But what are dreams? Are they just what we want?

And I'm not posting this because I want to hear someone tell me "Oh! Dreams tell the future!" because that's just stupid. I'm kind of sick of dreaming about her, I try my hardest not to think about her while I'm awake, but whenever I go to sleep, there she is...
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 04:17 AM
    Dreams are your brain trying to make sense of the world around it - they make connections between disparate subjects. They are thought to be very important to memory and cognition.

At the moment your world is a bit consumed by her, your brain needs to make sense of it.
    Most people agree that dreams are driven by your subconscious thought, once your subconscious is at rest with the fact that she's gone, the dreams will stop on the most part. It will take time.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 04:30 AM
    If thinking about things concerning your ex are things that are significant for you, then it's not unlikely that you would dream about events concerning that. Dreams for many of us, are a way that our mind is trying to sort out what to do about certain things that are happening in our lives. It is a normal process that is occurring by dreaming about our wants, needs, desires and also about coping with specific situations that are happening in our lives. There may be also other reasons dreams occur.

Dreams aren't necessarily about what we want. They can be about many things.

I would expect, as time goes on, that your dreams about your ex will subside, depending on how, in your own mind, that you resolve whatever has occurred between you and she.
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Jan 19, 2008, 05:46 AM
    How long were you and your ex together? If it was a long time, it's possible that you're dreaming about her simply because she was in your life for a significant period and you had gotten used to her being around.
    On the other hand, it could mean that she's a strong focus for you right now. Do you regret the breakup? Or alternatively, do you feel much anger toward her?
    How do you feel in the dreams?
    A dream is a brief and obscure snippet of your subconscious. It would be difficult for anyone but you to know why you keep dreaming about her.

All the best,

Kal
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2008, 06:34 AM
    ihatewestseneca,

Some people believe the brain is like a computer and the information that comes out depends on the information that was fed in. Sleeping and dreaming is a bit like the computer de-fragmenting and backing up files. It's your brain organising and reorganising itself. Nothing to worry about. All perfectly normal unless you are becoming seriously disturbed by your dreams. If this is the case it may indicate that there are things that you are refusing to take care of or face up to. An honest bit of soul-searching should take care of things.
    ihatewestseneca Posts: 325, Reputation: 67

Jan 19, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Sure, I miss her, sure, I want her back, but its kind of cramping the whole out of sight, out of mind thing. Cus then I wake up thinking about her, and I don't want to. We were together for 2 years, so hopefully in time they'll go away. And its not that I'm disturbed, its just that they keep happening, almost the same dream. And I'm not angry towards her at all, I mean I don't really feel anything about her. I'm just trying to move on. And in the dreams I'm pretty happy.
    Delow84 Posts: 309, Reputation: 45

Jan 19, 2008, 01:42 PM
    I feel you, I have the same thing happen to me. Lately though I have been 'waking up' IN my dreams. Realizing what they are. I am sure you know what I mean. My dreams are usually the happy ending kind as well. But lately it has been me basically saying "no this isnt real, its over and i still love you but its over and nothing can change that"
    It still sucks dreaming of her, and then waking up with her on your mind. What I do is what Christian Bale did in batman. I roll outa bed and start doing push ups or working out. Get my mind immediately on something else.

And I wouldn't knock the whole future telling thing, a week before me and my ex split I had a dream she cheated, totally stopped caring, ignored me and just plain forgot I existed. I woke up crying and sweating. She comforted me. A week later it happened. Go figure lol
    zhazha Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2009, 06:53 AM
    Ex-lover, Ex-boyfriend, Ex-girlfriend

1. The ex-lover is thinking about the dreamer intensely, and projecting telepathic messages towards her which she receives in her dreams.

2. Incompletions with this person that need to be resolved within the dreamer before he is truly free to move on to a new relationship

3. Similarities between this past relationship and situations now in the dreamer's life. Solutions to current difficulties may be resolved by the dreamer's remembering how he dealt with the ex-lover.

Astrological parallel: Venus-Saturn combinations.

Tarot parallel: The Lovers.

Ex-boy, girlfriend

It is very common for people to dream about ex-partners. Individuals that have been an important part of our lives continue to take up a part of our mind and heart. It is impossible to very dramatically shut the person out of thoughts and feelings. Just because the relationship ends does not mean that all is finished. As we go through relationships we learn and at times pick up "battle wounds." You will continue to dream about your ex-girlfriend or boyfriend until you "let go" of them on a very important level, or until you learned your lessons from that relationship. Either way, dreaming about your ex-romance does not predict future involvement. It may be wish-fulfillment, reliving memories, or working out old issues. Dreams are very rarely prophetic.

SOURCE: Dream dictionary Ex-Girlfriend

Well, I also have experienced the same but it was last year and it was maybe because I was thinking of my ex-BF a lot. I just wondered where he had gone and what he was doing...Hmmm...
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2009, 08:39 AM

Well I'm on my way to becoming a psychologist so if you want an explanation of what a dream indicates, there have not been any universal reason why you dream.

Some theories are, its something you want in your life but you can't have, something that occurs in your life recently and frequently, inner desire to accomplish a goal, fear and many more.

Here's a relationship reason why you dream about her. You're so used to her being in your life, a sudden change of that is the reason why you're still dreaming of her and because of the frequent dreaming, I would say you are not over her yet. Give it some time to do your own stuff, don't think too much of them and it will fade by time.
    ChRiStInE_n Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2009, 11:02 AM

Dreams are thoughts and ideas you have while you are sleeping

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dreams [ 6 Answers ]

I know that some people may not believe that a dream has any importance. For a lot of dreams maybe they do not. I do believe that possibility that every dream we have has some kind of meaning, whether it is trying to work out our daily troubles to actually letting us know of the future. Since...

Dreams from where? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I am a 28yr male and I know that you have lots and lots of dreams a night but most you can't remember that was the case for me up until the past 6 or 7 days now. THis is something that normally I would keep to myself and just laugh it off but its every time I go to sleep now.I can never...

View more questions Search