Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcg0a0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 02:07 PM
    401K loan and Bankruptcy
    I have loans for approx. 35,000.00 on my 401k. The payment is 850.00 per month. I am getting separated and have to pay an additional 1500.00 a month, and cannot afford to pay my bills as it is. If I go into either a chapter7 or chapter 13 BK I understand my 401K is exempt, however, is there a way to force a default on my 401k loans? I cannot afford the loans and my employer says they are unable to let me default. They say as long as I am employed there, they have to take out the loan payments from my payroll. Is there anything I can do?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jan 18, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Read very closely the terms of the 401(k) loan. Seems to me, and I am not an atty or an expert on 401(k) plans, but as I think it through, your 401(k) monies are collateral for the loans and essentially you never have to pay the loans back.. the loans will continue to accrue interest and your funds will continue to either accrue investment gains (or losses).. in the event of lackluster investment gains or excessive investment losses, at some point your 401(k) will be worth less than the accumulated loans plus interest and I believe will terminate... I assume you have discontinued payroll 401(k) contributions... but again, I think you have to read the terms of your 401(k) loan or loans. Sorry, I know this didn't answer your question but I believe the answer can be found in the loan agreements.
    BDouxgren Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

May 23, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Bad and dangerous advice in the first answer. As a general rule, if you're not an expert in 401(k), you shouldn't offer advice because it is an incredibly complicated area with severe tax repercussions if handled incorrectly.

I think it through, your 401(k) monies are collateral for the loans and essentially you never have to pay the loans back

Not correct. Your 401(k) isn't collateral on the loan, it IS your loan. If you do not pay the loan back, you will have to pay a penalty for withdrawal - 10% off the top, and then 20% income tax. If your job terminates for whatever reason before you pay back your loan, you will be responsible for those penalties. 401(k) plans were not intended to function as short-term loan opportunities, although many people use them as such. These penalties generally apply even if the participant is in bankruptcy.

You MAY be able to put a stop payment on your loan, but you need to carefully read the loan documents and plan terms to see if that's allowed. Your bankruptcy attorney may be able to help you with this.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

May 23, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BDouxgren
    Bad and dangerous advice in the first answer. As a general rule, if you're not an expert in 401(k), you shouldn't offer advice because it is an incredibly complicated area with severe tax repercussions if handled incorrectly.

I think it through, your 401(k) monies are collateral for the loans and essentially you never have to pay the loans back

Not correct. Your 401(k) isn't collateral on the loan, it IS your loan. If you do not pay the loan back, you will have to pay a penalty for withdrawal - 10% off the top, and then 20% income tax. If your job terminates for whatever reason before you pay back your loan, you will be responsible for those penalties. 401(k) plans were not intended to function as short-term loan opportunities, although many people use them as such. These penalties generally apply even if the participant is in bankruptcy.

You MAY be able to put a stop payment on your loan, but you need to carefully read the loan documents and plan terms to see if that's allowed. Your bankruptcy attorney may be able to help you with this.
    I suggest you (BDouxgren) read my answer closely as I qualifield my answer (correct or incorrect), by first stating that I was not an expert on 401(k)'s nor was I an atty and I also suggested that the answers could be found in the 401(k) agreements. You did not state whether you were an atty or even an expert but at least I did state my lack of expertise. No one paid me for my answer and I trust they would not take my response as expert advise nor would I expect they to take your answer as expert advice especially since you have no information on your profile nor in your answer. Please do not offend others including me by suggesting the respondent gave bad advice... there is a more polite and professional way to answer questions posed here.
    BDouxgren Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

May 26, 2008, 10:54 PM
    Good point about qualifications - as it turns out, I am an attorney specializing in Employee Benefits, and a member of my state bar, which I should have stated up front. My intent wasn't to insult you personally, but merely to point out that the ramifications for mistakes in this area of law can be devastating, that there was a fairly serious misunderstanding of the law in your response, and to recommend consulting with the OP's bankruptcy attorney. Was I harsh? Perhaps, but I think you will agree that the tax penalties for deemed distributions from a 401(k) account are severe, and it was that severity which prompted my response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

Bankruptcy and osap loan [ 19 Answers ]

I have a osap loan which I have to pay back through royal bank. (I live in ontario) I filed for bankrupcty in 2002 and I still owe on the loan because I've been out of school less than 10 years. After the bankrutpcy in 2005 I was required to start repaying my loan (nobody could touch me during the...

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Bankruptcy vs Loan Consolidation [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cousin who is 25 years old and wants to file bankruptcy. He has debt but it is around $10,000. He is not a stable kid. He can't keep a steady job and when he does work he doesn't work full time and of course doesn't make very much money. I guess he has talked to loan consolidators...

View more questions Search