Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glennz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Inheritance tax
    I am told that there is no California inheritance tax up to 1.5 million. What if the beneficiery lives in Florida and the owner of the policy lives in California ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by glennz
    i am told that there is no california inheritance tax up to 1.5 million. What if the beneficiery lives in florida and the owner of the policy lives in california ?

You refer to "the policy" - life insurance passes directly to the beneficiary and there is no inheritance tax on it. It does not pass through the estate.
    glennz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Hi Judy ! Thanks for the answer and do you mean "refer to the policy" that each policy is different and "read the policy" ? Is the inheritance tax different state to state because I wondered if my daughter lived in Florida would it be different that California ? Also my insurance agent says there is tax on anyone except a spouse and my accountant says not true ? Ambiquity nit my favorite thing when lots of money is at stake. Thanks,Glenn
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jan 18, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Individual life insurance proceeds pass directly without taxation to a named individual... life ins proceeds are considered "special" money and are not generally taxable to named individual beneficiaries...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by glennz
    hi Judy ! thanks for the answer and do you mean "refer to the policy" that each policy is different and "read the policy" ? Is the inheritance tax different state to state because i wondered if my daughter lived in florida would it be different that california ? Also my insurance agent says there is tax on anyone except a spouse and my accountant says not true ? Ambiquity nit my favorite thing when lots of money is at stake. thanks,Glenn

No, I was quoting YOUR reference to "the Policy." I assumed this meant you are referring to an insurance policy and not cash. Life insurance does NOT pass through an estate, it passes directly to the beneficiary and is non taxable in ALL States.

Can't speak for California law - have some knowledge of NYS law.

How is your insurance agent involved in this? I can understand your Accountant being involved but where does your insurance agent come in?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Any life insurance beneficiary collects 100% tax free money provided they are listed on the policy as the beneficiary (regardless of how many there are, i.e. 3 sisters, spouse, etc) regardless of what state they live in or what state the person died in.

Your insurance agent is incorrect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance [ 7 Answers ]

My father passed away and I am inheriting a large amount of money. I am married and live in California and want to know if this will be community property or is it exclusively mine?

Inheritance tax-do we pay? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi- my parents will be getting a sum of money from my dad's aunt in Scottsdale Arizona who passed away last year. They are unsure of the amount- but it should be quite a bit- possibly thousands of dollars. She lived in Arizona- we live in Illinois. My dad's tax guy said they will have to pay 34%...

Inheritance from outside the US [ 2 Answers ]

My father was a UK citizen and lived all his life in the UK. I am a US resident. He recently died and under the terms of his will, I am to receive an inheritance in excess of $100,000. If the money is transferred into my US bank account, does that become taxable income?

Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

Ok - My wife is ready for a divorce after 7 years. Her father just recently past and left her with a sizable inheritance. According to California law I'm not intitled to any of this money. Is this true? Over the past 5 years my wife has spent more than a year out of state caring for her father. I...

Inheritance [ 4 Answers ]

My husband's grandmother past away over 3 months ago and we are still awaiting the inheritance for him and our children. The lawyer is giving us quite a run-around, and we don't have the best relationship with his other family members. How long does it typically take to receive a check when it is...

View more questions Search