Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    done' Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2006, 07:32 PM
    Urine smell in downstairs bathroom
    WE have a bathroom downstairs that has a strong urine smell coming from the shower , either under the shower or in the drain. What can I do about this to figure out why this is happening?

Val
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 9, 2006, 06:33 AM
    Good morning Val,

Most odor problems from a shower drain are caused by rotting hair matted by grease from the soap. Try this. Tonight before you got to bed pour 1/2 gallon of bleacg down the drainh and let it set over night. Next morning, (and this is inportant) Flush it out with two large pans of boiling water.
    The bleach will began to dissolve the hair and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the whole mess out into the main.
    Smell better now? If the odor remains then snake out the drain line and repeat the bleach treatment. Good luck Tom
    done' Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Thank you
    I tried your suggestion and so far so good

Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gassy smell in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

We recently had all new pvc piping installed under our tub by a licenced plumber. We are now experiencing a gassy smell in the bathroom. What is it, and is there anything we can do ourselves without calling the plumber back out?

Smell in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I live in a relatively new home and over the past few months I've noticed a mild sewage smell in my 2nd floor bathroom. The smell does not seem to be coming from anywhere in particular. I have noticed that on windy days the smell is more noticeable. The water drains fine in all cases....

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We have one bathroom in our house used by 4 people. Every once in a while, there is a strong sewage smell. It is intermittent, there is no certain time that it is present. I cannot pinpoint it to a certain drain or area in the bathroom. When the heat comes on, it is VERY strong when it is present...

Bathroom Sink Smell... [ 2 Answers ]

Someone threw up in my bathroom sink (why there when the toilet is only two feet away I do not know). The sink was plunged, and eventually drained. For good measure, I put a few doses of Liquid Plumr down the drain. Now there is a foul odor coming from the sink drain. Please help!

Strong urine smell (new house) [ 5 Answers ]

I have a new home that was built in 2002/2003. For the past year, there is a strong musty/urine smell in the guest bathroom. This bathroom is used regularly. It is also very clean. The only thing that I can figure is that it is right next to where the lift station is buried. Could this be...

View more questions Search