Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    utstark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Funeral Expense Etiquette
    Our mother recently passed away. We have a pianist from our church and a soloist. Should we send money to these people or will they feel offended? Is a thank you card enough?
    utstark
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Anyone who provides a special service (at your request) for a wedding, christening, or funeral is entitled to receive a gift of money. Even the minister is entitled. The gift of money could be enclosed inside a thank-you card. That would be very classy!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Discuss this with your funeral director. This is his bailiwick, he will be more than willing to assist you.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Jan 29, 2008, 02:20 PM
    I agree with donf. Many churches charge, or the soloists have their own fee. If not, I certainly would offer something. Ask your funeral director and/or pastor. If they don't know or don't want to provide you a figure, I would suggest $50 to $100 for each if they are volunteering their time. They can decline, but the offer would be appropriate. Enclosing it in a handwritten note of thanks would be a classy way to go about it.

If it's a family member or very close, I would not tip them but would make a special point of thanking them.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 02:48 PM
    Some funeral homes take care of everything - from the luncheon to paying the honorariums to people who have participated in the funeral. Ask the director if the fee you paid covered all this.

If not - yes, please do enclose an honorarium in a thank you card to the soloists, organist, priest/minister, Ladies Aid Society (or whoever put on the luincheon after the funeral). It is not that these people demand something, but it is that they have provided something meaningful to your family and you appreciate their efforts.
    musicmom73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2013, 04:50 PM
    Pianists have put in years of training to be able to perform. We should be paid for our services. Do you expect to be paid when you perform a job? Of course! And payment should depend on what the pianist is being asked to do. Is there a rehearsal? What does the service entail? Are you asking the pianist to play 20 minutes of music as people enter the service and also play as people exit as well as playing special music during the service? If you don't know what to pay a pianist you can ask them or ask the funeral director or a church secretary. They can suggest an appropriate amount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Songs for Funeral [ 20 Answers ]

My cousin/best friend's fiancé died this past weekend in an accident involving dirt bikes (motorized)! They have a three week old son together. She is (obviously) very devistated as are we all! We are trying to help her out as much as possible! My question is... she asked my help in picking...

Not going to a funeral? [ 6 Answers ]

So my "best" friend and I haven't really been getting along lately. I really think that it's the turning point in our lives (going to college) and we're going separate ways. We just seem to be changing really fast, or it's just me. Her cousin committed suicide and she doesn't want to go to the...

Brothers funeral expense [ 1 Answers ]

I have two brothers.. neither are married now.. but do have children by prev marriage Niether brothers hhave any life insurance... my question is WHO WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR FUNERAL EXPENSES... what if their children refuses to pay .will the law hold me responsible? I have no way of paying...

Banning some one from a funeral [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is where I should be posting? My daughters husbands father is very ill he is going into hospice, his wife the step mother is evil she is constently harassing the kids she is telling them that they can not see his father now or come to the wake or funeral when he passed. We...

Moving Expense and Traveller Expense [ 1 Answers ]

Brief History: I came to US on F1 in 2001 and graduated in 2003. I have been employed from October, 2003 on my OPT and my H1 started in May, 2004. I changed my employer in 2004 and in 2005 I had to leave the country to be with my family in my home country. I was out of the country from April 2005...

View more questions Search