Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chris22222 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Connecting 2 pc's via Ethernet
    I have 2 comptuers sitting next to each other, and I want to connect them together so they both have the internet. Is it possible to network them by just putting an ethernet in 1 PC and the other end of the ethernet into the other PC?

One computer has windows vista, the other has windows XP.
    If so, how am I able to set it up?

Thanks
    Chris
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 10:47 AM
    The operating system platforms are not relevant at this point. However, I would suggest you make sure that your IE is at the same level.

What you are trying to design is a "Peer to Peer" network. Or PC to PC. You can do this quite easily if you go wireless, however, that does open you up to penetration by other networks.

The best way is to go to a Best Buy or Radio Shack and pick up an Ethernet "CROSSOVER" cable. This cable switches the transmit and receive lines from one PC to the other so that PC #1 talks to PC#2 Receive line and Listens for PC#2's response on its receive line.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Donf,
    The crossover cable may allow him to share files but not his internet connection. Get a router, they are cheap and you don't even need the wireless feature. Set up the router on the PC that has internet access then use a regular ethernet cable to connect the other computer to the router.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Hi Need Kama,

Its not my choice here, it's the original poster's choice. He did not lay out specifics. My suspicion is that he does not know what he wants, however, if you dump a router into the mix, you definitely open the door for invasions from unwanted neighbors. So I erred on the side of his security.

Did I jump the wrong way? I'm open to your perspectives, what I don't know never ceases to amaze me.
    chris22222 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Okay thanks a lot :)

I have a wireless router coming in a cupple of days already, but I wanted to connect to the internet on both PC's now, guess I'll have to wait.

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Regards
    Chris
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jan 18, 2008, 05:10 PM
    What you mentioned to begin with is kind of impossible if I assume correctly that you have a broadband Internet connection of either cable or DSL. This requires an ethernet connection. If you use a crossover cable to connect your two PC's, this type of network connection is limited to just the two devices. So how will you connect your cable/DSL modem? A third connection is not available for use, so the router is definitely the best way to go. The added benefit of using a router is that your computers will be connected to a network ID that is not routable on the Internet. The 10.x.x.x Class A range, the 172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x Class B range and the 192.168.1.x to 192.168.254.x Class C range of addresses are reserved and safe to use for Public networks. Your router will most likely come configured to use the 192.168.1.x Class C address range. This helps to make your home network safer along with use of a Personal Firewall program and continued AntiVirus updates.

Happy surfing.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2008, 06:22 PM
    You are trying to set up a wireless network -- Each computer needs a wireless adapter to work

set up a wireless network - Google Search

Since you are going wireless I have a video for you to watch -- You need to protect your network

YouTube - Why you should protect your wireless network with WPA

need to protect your wireless network - Google Search

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting 2 PC's using a router [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have two laptops (both with windows xp) at home and they are connected wirelessly to the internet through a WRT54GL v1.1 linksys router (both laptops have a built-in wireless card). How could I connect my two laptops together wirelessly through the router and be able to access the files on...

Connecting Two Computers via Ethernet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am vignesh... I need foolproof method for knowing how to connect two computers in network via ethernet...

Relatively new to PC's [ 15 Answers ]

I've owned an Imac for awhile. I learned on Mac's, and did pretty much everything else with them, but I own a PC now. (Not exactly a replacement, just an upgrade. I still use my Imac) Over the years I have had it I learned to fix various problems and other things about how the OS works.. etc. ...

2 pc's connection [ 7 Answers ]

I have an older PC running win98se. It has a program on it that downloads my diabetic information from my blood monitor through a serial port. I am going to get a new computer soon but my software for this program is not compatibale with Xp and the software company says it will not be providing...

Connecting two PC via ethernet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a game freek. I want to connect my two pcs for playing multiplayer games via ethernet. Please help.

View more questions Search