Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aces-Wild Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 01:41 PM
    I had used pads all the time and so when I started using tampons was relieved to be able to just flush them.. first thing that happened.. our sewer backed up.. we have bad pipes and it royally plugged them up! PLEASE if you do not have BRAND NEW plumbing and have NO chance of having tree roots in them.. PLEASE do not flush them! It's a pain in the arse to get it cleaned out!
    :o
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 15, 2009, 01:49 PM

Good, honest, post... Thank you

I would add: do not flush any feminine / hygiene products even if you have brand new sewer lines. They will still create exactly the same problem.
    Aces-Wild Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 02:17 PM
    That's a good idea.. it's really not a good idea.. the guy we had clean our our sewer line is kind of different.. he doesn't even put toilet paper in there.. puts it in a basket beside his toilet. Has a septic tank and old pipes. I don't know if I could handle that.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 15, 2009, 03:15 PM
    Let's wrap this up. Are there any plumbers in here, besides Letmetellu, that think it's OK to flush any feminine / hygiene products down the John? All together now, 1--2--3-----FLUSH!! Cheers Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 15, 2009, 06:43 PM

Don't put anything down a toilet that you haven't eaten first.
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

May 15, 2009, 07:24 PM

Tinks 69 doe pee for whitetails and used tampons have a lot in common.

They can draw the big buck. LOL
    anotherbrit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 10:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ 'H' View Post
    I don't have a clue about plumbing in general - but none I know has ever had problems with their toilet because they flush tampons. I don't know - maybe the UK is different?!

The US is totally different from Europe in this regard. I've flushed tampons in the UK and other European countries all my life, just as my mother and friends taught me was OK. Then I came to stay with American friends this summer, and had the excruciatingly embarssing experience of blocking their toilet. Asked around my girlfriends in Britain and the US - all the Brits were amazed that you couldn't flush them here, whereas the Americans all told me they've been trained all their lives never to flush a tampon. I really really wish I'd known. It was horrible to cause so much stress for my American hosts, in such an embarrassing fashion...
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 19, 2009, 06:19 AM
    Rule of thumb here in the US. Anything but human waste belongs in the trash. Not in the toilet!!!
    tiger509 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 10:46 AM
    The entire problem here is why a product has been invented for women who use
    Tampons , It is called " Throwawayz " and it is a biodegradable tampon and small pad
    Disposable bag.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2009, 06:03 AM

As a group we plumbers would like to thank you ladies who dispose feminine/hygiene products by flushing them down the toilet.
    You are really helping the economy by creating more disposable income for us in the way of service calls.
    We advise against it but we laugh all the way to the bank when you ignore that advice. Thank you! Tom
    Hemlock50 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2009, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    I know it may be a relationship breaker - but:

Tampons - and paper towels, Qtips, make up removal pads, Kleenex - should never be flushed down the toilet ...
    I generally don't flush Kleenex, but I never realized flushing it was a no-no. Good to know.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 11, 2009, 04:47 PM

I just don't get this. I explain this to all the young girls, and still I find this is an issue. "all the girls do it". Good to know it's national. (rolling eyes)
    tiger509 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 12:02 PM

I believe the best way to dispose of used tampons and small pads is to use the product Throwawayz as it seems to be a clean and biodegradable way to dispose of used tampons. Not to mention that using this method helps to keep the plumbing clear and saves you the expense of a plumber !
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2010, 12:18 PM

I can only repeat my earlier post:
    As a group we plumbers would like to thank you ladies who dispose feminine/hygiene products by flushing them down the toilet.
    You are really helping the economy by creating more disposable income for us in the way of service calls.
    We advise against it but we laugh all the way to the bank when you ignore that advice. Thank you! Tom

Jan 13, 2012, 10:16 PM
    My neighbor, a plumber, told me only three things should be flushed (and we have a city sewer system) -- two of those things are obvious, and the third is toilet paper that disintegrates when wet. Never flush tampons, baby wipes, paper towels, kleenex, Q-tips, anything made of cloth, or kitty litter (even if it's supposedly flushable).
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 14, 2012, 05:47 AM
    Thanks for the information Wonder Girl but what are you doing digging up a 6 year old dead thread? Always look in the upper left hand corner for the date before you post. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it me or the tampons? [ 12 Answers ]

Okay this is really frustrating. I have tried multiple brands of tampons and this always happens. I put it in, and a few hours later I go to the bathroom and there is a huge amount of blood on my underwear so I grumble about forgetting to change tampons. I pull out the used tampon and its not even...

No water to toilets [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I woke up this morning, took a shower made coffee used the toilet and discovered that there was no water supply filling the tank. I checked my other toilet and discovered the same problem. I have water throughout the house just not in my two toilets. The house is less than 4 years old....

Refurbishing old toilets [ 2 Answers ]

Yes Tom let me know how you do it. I usually use a hammer lol

Toilets plugging up [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I have two toilets on the main level of my home. One is the main bathroom and the other is off the master bedroom. They are about 15 feet away from each other and I believe that they use a common sewer pipe. In the last few weeks they each have plugged up a few times each. It is easily...

Toilets [ 1 Answers ]

We are almost ready to buy our toilets and I was wondering which brands you have had good luck with. With the low amount of water now used for flushing I want to avoid as many problems as possible. Thanks!

View more questions Search