Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tz779604 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 11:32 PM
    Becoming non profit organization
    I already own a small thrift store but I buy most of my items. Which is okay but I have the overhead as well and I do not currently receive a paycheck. I want to help my community more and find an organization we can give a certain percentage of our profit to. I am wondering how to be able to receive donations and give a tax exempt and at the same time make enough to pay overhead, give the percentage to charity, have enough to be able to help some underprivileged families in my area and still have enough to at least be able to receive a small paycheck. Please point me in the correct direction.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 12:07 AM
    Hmmm. What about finding a local non-profit organization that you can work hand-in-glove with, such as a women's shelter, a small hospital, a clinic for people under a certain income level, or even an animal shelter. Those organizations probably have a corps of volunteers and do various types of fund-raising throughout the year. Also, consult with a lawyer who will help you obtain a non-profit status if that is what you want.

For instance, our local cat shelter's manager lives at the shelter (it is a house that was willed to her by cat owners), so she is there 24/7 and is available to supervise volunteers who come and go throughout the week as they clean the shelter and care for the cats. The volunteers also work at many fund-raising activities during the year. The manager is the only one who receives a paycheck as overseer and manager of the entire operation.
    HoustonTom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Hello, my name is Tom and I am from Houston. I consult for those that are either wanting to get into thrift stores, or already in them. For profit as well as non-profit operations.
    If you would like to talk, please feel free to contact me directly...

[Personal email address removed for privacy.]
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 11:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonTom
    Hello, my name is Tom and I am from Houston. I consult for those that are either wanting to get into thrift stores, or already in them. For profit as well as non-profit operations. If you would like to talk, please feel free to contact me directly...
    We always appreciate and are glad to have people participating in answering questions on this site who are willing to give freely of their time and also keep answers on the threads so that others might benefit by the answers that have been given. Those reasons are just a couple of things that make this such a great site for people to use!
    AskTheresa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2009, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonTom View Post
    Hello, my name is Tom and I am from Houston. I consult for those that are either wanting to get into thrift stores, or already in them. For profit as well as non-profit operations.
    If you would like to talk, please feel free to contact me directly...

[Personal email address removed for privacy.]
    Hi Tom, I would like to speak to you about opening a thrift store but your email address was removed. Is there another way to reach you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NON Profit Organization. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a website and a forum under it. We are planning to create a NPO. Can we use our forum part only as NPO and keep the rest of the site profitable? Please help.

How to start a non-for-profit organization [ 1 Answers ]

I am starting a ministry. In this ministry we plan to do more than hold regular church services. We want to be charitable also. I do understand that in order to become 501c3 tax exempt, we must become incorporated through the state and then file through the federal. Is there more than just...

Charity/donation vs. Work for non profit organization [ 2 Answers ]

Hi If I provided a work for non profit with a discounted rate (approx. 20%), can I put Down the discounted amount in Charity/Donation sector? This was how I and My non-profit client negotiated the pricing when we began the work relationship, And I would like to check if this is really...

How to report nonemployee income for a non profit organization [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I did some freelance gig for a non-profit organization, and received A standard 1099-misc for the income tax report. As it was a non-profit, I Initially gave the client a discounted rate, assuming that there would be more Amount to write off in the end. The client says their EIN...

Should I grant someone right to use/edit my writings for a non profit organization [ 2 Answers ]

undefined I was asked by a non profit organization and individual therapist to write a letter. The topic/organization is called HABIT - Healthy Alternative and Body Image Tools. We are trying to get into elementary schools and high schools to educate kids on eating disorders. Well I ended up...

View more questions Search