Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamsieboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 12:48 PM
    How do I reboot my computer?
    My computer isfull of spyware adware viruses etc. is there any way I can get rid of these or even start fresh? Almost a new computer.
    alyssarox32 Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Yes you can. If you have windows then you should have the windows installation CD. Use that CD and re-install windows.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 17, 2008, 01:36 PM
    If your Computer came with a Recovery CD or Recovery partition, then you can use that to wipe the hard drive and start as it came from the factory. Otherwise you will need to reformat the hard drive and then reinstall everything.
    alyssarox32 Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Hey Scottgem you know what I mean. I meant the recovery CD but I wasn't sure what it was called. Thanks!
    lukecarrier Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alyssarox32
    Hey Scottgem you know what I mean. I meant the recovery CD but I wasn't sure what it was called. Thanx!
    They're pretty much the same thing, apart from OEMs tend to add some useless jukebox or bunch of ads into the desktop folders to recovery CDs.
    And ScottGem that wasn't really fair giving him bad rep for that, most people take it that a format and install is the same as a re-install.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 18, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lukecarrier
    They're pretty much the same thing, apart from OEMs tend to add some useless jukebox or bunch of ads into the desktop folders to recovery CDs.
    And ScottGem that wasn't really fair giving him bad rep for that, most people take it that a format and install is the same as a re-install.
    Nope. The Windows Installation CD is not the same as a Recovery CD. No way, no how. A Recovery CD is a cloned image of the hard drive when first setup. The windows Installation CD just installs Wndows.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Jamie boy,

Let's get you back on track here. First, you need to run a complete scan of your system.

Check your protection software. See if it will allow you to run a complete scan from the software's site. In my case, I'm using Verizon Security and I can can run such a scan.

Start the scan, and run it several times. Once you get several clean runs, start the scan again looking for spy-ware. If you finally get a completely clean scan, then do a "Cold Start" and see how it goes from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wipe out my computer and reboot. [ 5 Answers ]

So as of two days ago I have a couple diff viruses. I need to know how to wipe out my computer and just redue the entire thing. My computer came preinstalled, and I have no disks to go along with it. I have emachines, Windows XP. Is there anyway that someone can help me?

How do I reboot my computer when it keeps looping and won't let me access the drives? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I reboot my computer when it keeps looping and won't let me access the drives?

How do I reboot my computer and start frest as though it was a new computer [ 17 Answers ]

My computer is very slow I want to reboot it from the start

Reboot computer [ 1 Answers ]

I need help to reboot my hole computer clean can u help me please Thank you

Computer reboot after heavy graphic processing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, This question probably had been ask lots of times. Ive been search and found some of the same questions but not the same scenario. I just finished upgrading my PC that I used for high performance games, just added 2GB of dual channel DDR400 memory in it and after 2 o 3 minutes...

View more questions Search