Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thorzbo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 10:53 AM
    1099, filing as a self-employed contractor + more.
    I moved to the USA from England around 15 months ago on a marriage visa. In 2006 I worked as a freelancer for the last 2 months of the year, and earned just enough to receive a 1099 form, but I filed jointly with my wife, who has a 'regular' job and had worked a full year. We received a tax refund of around $300.

For all of 2007, I also worked as a freelancer - albeit for only one company - and earned $16,000, without any tax taken out. I also have around $1000 in transport and other costs that I think I can deduct. My wife and I were planning to file jointly again this year... but since I have never really understood the process, I'd appreciate some feedback on a) how I/we should go about it, and b) how much I am likely to have to pay/receive back in taxes to the IRS?

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Thorzbo:

First, you should have been filing Form 1040-ES to pay quarterly taxes to cover your upcoming tax liability.

Since you did NOT do that, I suspect that you will end up writing a check come 15 April 2008. How much depends on how much your WIFE had withheld from her salary.

For sure, you will need to pay the self-employment tax at a 15.3% rate on the NET amount from your Shedule C. Assuming that your $1,000 in expenses is accurate, you will owe aout $2,300 in SE tax.

I will also assume that your salary, combined with your wife's, put's you in the 15% INCOME tax bracket. That's ANOTHER $2,250 for your salary alone.

All things considered, you should expect to pay somewhere in the $3,000 - $4,000 range come 15 April 2008.

STRONGLY recommend you get professional tax help. Your tax pro should model the possibility of filing you separate from your wife (may result in a lower overall tax bill).

The good thing is that you have almost three months to get the money together to pay the tax bill.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 02:42 PM
    And of course there can be a lot of tax deductions. A self employed person ( 1099 employee) can often deduct all sorts of things.
    Thorzbo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Wow. I just was not expecting it to be so much. I better start looking back through my receipts to see what I can deduct!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Thorzbo:

Your situations SCREAMS for professional tax help! I recommend you contact a local tax pro to help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a worker on E3 visa be a contractor using 1099? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an E3 visa and on a W2 form. Am I eligible to switch to a 1099 form and still work for the same company?

1099-G and 1099-INT, filing as a non-resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India and filing my taxes as a non-resident for 2006. 1.> I received 1099-G of my 2005 state tax refund. In my 2005 federal tax return I had used the standard deduction on line 11 of 1040NR-EZ i.e "Itemized deductions" line since it is entitled to students from India. Is...

Independent contractor if F-1, no 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F-1 student on OPT. I worked part-time for several companies over the past year, and I received forms (1099-Misc, 1042-s) from a couple of them. I also worked as a tutor (literacy, reading) for a couple of families. There was no discussion about taxes in the beginning, and they...

1099 for contractor [ 1 Answers ]

Here is the situation. 1. Company "ABC. Inc", a S corporation has performed service to another company "123, Inc". 2. ABC company send invoice to 123 company for the service. 3. ABC company asked 123 company to issue the check to the individual name of the ABC company's officer, owner. ...

Incorporated Vs 1099 Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to know the differences in tax that an individual would pay as an independent contractor vs being incorporated. I am on OPT now and would convert to H-1 in OCtober. I got an offer from a company and would like me to be incorporated. My total estimated income would be close...

View more questions Search