Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poppajs2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2006, 08:30 AM
    Computor shutdown
    I have a old sony vaio (windows 98SE) edition, computer locks up frequently, I have 191. Mg ram running 77% free. I have installed spyware buster, seem to help, but still locking up. Any advice. Thanks Jerry
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 8, 2006, 08:32 AM
    When was the last time you did a reinstall of 98, as over time the OS can degrade ?
    Continual installation and deletion of programs can cause your registry to become fragmented beyond repair.

My advice to you would be to back up everything that you want to keep and do a FULL reinstall of 98 and then reinstall only the apps that you use.

Hope this helps
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2006, 08:35 AM
    Shut down
    Hi,
    I also use Win98/98SE, and when it starts shutting down by itself, could be an indication to reinstall windows. How long has it been without doing a reinstallation? Normall, in 1 year, the win98se files corrupt themselves to the point that it needs reinstalling.
    Also, 191 RAM really isn't very much. It depends on how many times you restart the computer, with win98, so it can rebuilt system resources.
    Spyware is a consideration, do you run scans sometimes? Many use AdAware, and Spybot. Also, Spyware blaster is good to keep spyware from getting into the computer in the first place.
    Please post back, if you haven't reinstalled Win98/98SE within a year, if you need help in reinstalling it.
    Also, the "blue death screens" are a good indication of needing a reinstallation.
    I do wish you the best of luck.
    poppajs2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Thanks for help last reinstall was 6 mo but can do again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shutdown problems [ 17 Answers ]

Ever sense my friend told me to overclock my comp so much that it spazzed out I've been having problems. When my friend told me to overclock it, I did and it messed up, so the Cmos had to be pulled. That worked fine. But eversense, whenever I try to shut down my comptuer, and turn it back on, it...

Startup and Shutdown [ 10 Answers ]

Is there anyway I can not logon at the windows screen when I startup? I find it really troublesome. Just on the computer and I want it to bring me to my windows so my program can all start running rather than having to wait at the logon screen and wait for me to press OK... It was says select user...

Shutdown LAN [ 13 Answers ]

Dear all, Please help me in this matter , I want to shut down the LAN with password proetected.It Is possible. Please help me to do this to stop LAN from working... Please help me urgent

Computor has a mind of its own! [ 7 Answers ]

:D - hello; have had masses of problems with my computor in the past week; many of the problems seem to have stemmed from spyware- have downloaded adaware and that found over 300 problems! Still finding about 15 a day... Despite having broad band my computor is now slower than it was before the...

Autometic shutdown after a while [ 4 Answers ]

Dear All, My problem is my PC autometically shuted down after working for 1 to 2 hours. If I try switch on again it just try to on for few seconds and get off itself. If I power off for more than 2/3 hours and switchon again it starts for 1/2 hours and again autometically shuted down and happened...

View more questions Search