Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    movingtoanothercity Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Can I change mind after giving notice to vacate
    If I give notice to vacate on a month to month rental can I change my mind shortly after say a week or a month. In ontario, canada 60 days notice is needed to vacate and I am moving to another city if I get this job but I have to give notice before I am SURE I get the job can I change my mind and stay month to month. PLease help
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Hello moving:

If your landlord will accept your rescission, sure. There's no law that says you HAVE to move. Of course, it's going to be rather hard to change your mind in a month because that's when you're supposed to be out.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by movingtoanothercity
    If i give notice to vacate on a month to month rental can I change my mind shortly after say a week or a month. In ontario, canada 60 days notice is needed to vacate and I am moving to another city if i get this job but i have to give notice before I am SURE I get the job can I change my mind and stay month to month. PLease help

As a general rule in the US - which might not help you at all - no. A notice to vacate is a legal notice and cannot be changed or modified UNLESS the landlord is also willing to do so -

So you either wait and possibly have to pay rent for a period when you don't live there or give notice and possibly not have a place to live.

Depending on the landlord you might also talk to him/her, explain the situation, offer to do your best to give as much notice as possible and see if you can strike an agreement.

I have tenants and if they are good tenants I am very flexible - this is not an unusual situation. I will allow a tenant to break a lease if they are cooperative when I am re-renting their apartment so that I don't lose the month's rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 day notice to Vacate [ 13 Answers ]

My landlord has given me a 30 day notice to vacate to another apartment so mine can be renovated. I have lived there since 1975 (32 years). I don't mind moving to another apartment, but on January 17th I am having heart surgery and would like to know if I can ask for more time to move. I have...

60 days notice to vacate [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We own a home which we have leased to tenants. The lease states leasor needs to give 60 days notice to vacate. We wrote a letter, giving them the 60 days notice and sent it registered mail. Turns out they were on a two week vacation and didn't receive the notice until they returned. Now,...

California 60 Day Notice to Vacate [ 1 Answers ]

I am on disability and have lived in the mobile home park for nearly nine years. I ALWAYS paid my rent on time, up until the delivery of my checks was changed (3 yrs ago), from the 1st to the 14th. Since that time, I have paid my rent in the middle of the month, ALWAYS including all late charges,...

When do I vacate a house in California after a foreclosure notice was given [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Please adv when should I vacate my house here in California after a foreclosure notice is given ? Tks/Dinah

Notice of motion to vacate judgment in small claims [ 4 Answers ]

I need to find out How to file a notice of motion to vacate a small claims judgment. Where do I get the form? Is one available on line? I was served with papers on a case. I called to reschedule. I was told fine it would be reschuled. I come back from vacation and I have a judgmnt agaiinst ...

View more questions Search