Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alana1970 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Want to homeschool my 14 year old
    I plan on homeschooling my 14 year old who is in ninth grade he is doing terrible in school. I have tried to transfer but they won't. I live in Queens, NY. How do I go about doing this? I know I have to send a letter to the District informing them of my intentions. Then they send me a form to fill out. What do I put on the form? How do I know what to teach him? Do I use any textbooks or do they have to be specific books? After he finishes 9th grade can I then enroll him in another school in 10th grade? Thanks for all your help.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Here is a good site that might help you. As I am not in New York I wouldn't know where to begin telling you how to fill out the forms.

http://www.homeschoolinginnewyork.com/
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 17, 2008, 07:17 AM
    J_9 linked you to what appears to be a great site for you. I really suggest that you read much of that site before you make your decision.

If the problem is that he is not doing well, then you may be better off getting him a tutor to supplement the school. Especially if you have no teaching or educational background. You may be doing him a disservice by doing this.

If you still want to do this and still have problems filling out the forms you can list the specific questions you can't answer and we may be able to help with those.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I homeschool my children? [ 21 Answers ]

I have recently decided to be a stay at home mom and am now considering homeschooling my three children (3rd - 6th grade). I homeschooled last semester, but I was also attending college full time. As you could imagine, things didn't go quite well. I was struggling between home, school, and...

Resources, and How Do You Homeschool? [ 3 Answers ]

We get most of our resources for homeschooling from our local homeschool store (it's a small little store). I thought maybe that we could get a couple of books from Borders book store. We bought The Idiot's Guide on How To Write Well. Some of the homeschool textbooks that we buy are not...

Holy cow.SWAT team invades homeschool [ 51 Answers ]

Sorry folks, but when I read more and more things like this, I just go out and buy another thousand primers or bullets or some other piece of reloading equipment, and then make a little donation to NRA-ILA. Can you imagine where we'd be if there WERE NO Second Amendment? This kind of stuff...

Homeschool boy confuses me [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am 12 years old, almost 13(but everyone says I am waaay more mature than 12), and my crush is 14. Okay, yes my problem is at least sort of typical, but I am desperate. First I’ll tell you a little about myself. I am a home-schooled Pastors kid, and he is home schooled too, and goes to my...

Am I the right "Type" to homeschool my children? [ 9 Answers ]

I am currently a stay at home mother with a 3 year-old daughter and a daughter who is in first grade in the public school system. I really want to try and homeschool, except for one thing, and that one thing is my concern that I would NEVER get a break from my kids. The funny thing is, is that I...

View more questions Search