Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cfablemaster Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Jan 8, 2006, 07:28 AM
    What I mean...
    What I mean by teaching subject I mean teaching all these people on this site about the things they asked. I AM going to make it were they HAVE to make a class higher than an immortal. I will go all the way to the top.
    No replies please I would rather have some positive comments.
    P.S. I'm the smartest kid in the class and I've got minor aid control over the class. O you and. I'm trying to teach people online and at my school but they won't pay attention. Any suggestions?:(
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2006, 08:09 AM
    Teaching
    Hi,
    Welcome to the site, and I hope you have fun here.
    There have been many posts with answers about how to answer others' questions.
    Some suggestions are:
    1. Be nice in the answer, don't ridicule the Asker; just answer the question.
    2. Offer opinions when they are wanted, not when they aren't. It could be that those in your class at school don't want opinions, unless they ask for them.
    3. You can make more friends faster by listening to others, than you can be having them listen to you.
    4. Answer questions in categories that you feel you know something about, not just giving "fly by night" stuff to try having more posts. The thing that counts are the positive comments given to you by those asking the questions. These appear in Green, when you log in, going to My Profile, near the top.
    5. Be as helpful as you can, and NEVER get into an argument with one asking the question. If he/she posts back a reply to "clarify", then answer it. If they post back a reply that isn't nice, then just ignore it, and move on.

I hope some of this helps, and I'm sure others will add more to it. Best of luck, and have fun!
    PS; You might also notice the date of the original post, which is by the name of the person asking the question. Sometimes, some of us forget to look, and answer a questions asked over a year ago!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2006, 08:11 AM
    You won't get far teaching if your grammar and sentence structure remain as they are.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2006, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    4. Answer questions in categories that you feel you know something about, not just giving "fly by night" stuff to try having more posts.
    Oh the irony!
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Jan 8, 2006, 09:16 AM
    Cfablemaster, Have you ever heard the expression " you can draw bees faster with honey"? That is also true with everyday life. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is also true. If you come across in your teaching as rude or uncaring then no one is going to listen. See the thing with people is they love compliments. They love to hear something good about themselves. Butter them up a little bit. Tell them "good job" or " I like how you figured that out" or " I know you can do it. You are very smart. Ifanyone can do it its you." You will be surprised how far those things will get you. Some students come from a bad home life and they need someone to build up their esteem and if you do that they will listen better because they will want to please you.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 8, 2006, 09:32 AM
    teach Audio pronunciation of "teaching" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tch)
    v. taught, (tôt) teach·ing, teach·es
    v. tr.

1. To impart knowledge or skill to: teaches children.
    2. To provide knowledge of; instruct in: teaches French.
    3. To condition to a certain action or frame of mind: teaching youngsters to be self-reliant.
    4. To cause to learn by example or experience: an accident that taught me a valuable lesson.
    5. To advocate or preach: teaches racial and religious tolerance.
    6. To carry on instruction on a regular basis in: taught high school for many years.

v. intr.

To give instruction, especially as an occupation.

The best teachers that I have ever encountered are the ones that teach from experience, like a good manager leads by example.
    So far you haven't really displayed either, but you have time enough to change that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2006, 09:43 AM
    Lot to learn
    Quote Originally Posted by cfablemaster
    what i mean by teaching subject i mean teaching all these people on this site about the things they asked. i AM going to make it were they HAVE to make a class higher than an immortal. i will go all the way to the top.
    no replies please i would rather have some positive comments.
    P.S. im the smartest kid in the class and ive got minor aid control over the class. o ya and. im trying to teach people online and at my school but they wont pay attention. any suggestions?:(

While I do hope you have things to share that will help others, sadly experience in life is something they don't teach in school and is often forgotten by those that merely think knowledge can be found in a book only. And one has to look at what is happening in their life and not merely tell them what they want to hear, that happened before on many sites where people were only caring about rating, what really matters is telling them the truth or your opinion of that truth even if it is not what they want to hear.

Ratings mean little to anyone really wanting to help someone else, it is the knowledge that you are helping that matters.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2006, 09:53 AM
    I agree with what everyone has written here. Ratings, rankings, etc, are not important. They are just a kind of "fringe benefit" I guess, but I don't really care about them at all. In fact, there is a thread somewhere (in Member Discussions I believe) about getting rid of the rankings all together. Some members here think it would be a good idea because of people taking the ratings too seriously and trying to artificially inflate themselves. I think that's why we got rid of the reputation number, which used to appear below the little green boxes.

Really good teachers don't teach for the prestige of it, that's for sure! :rolleyes: You could get much more prestige as Attorney at Law or Chief of Surgery!

Jan 8, 2006, 10:08 AM
    Hell no
    U guys don't even know what I'm talking about.
    Who said I was being uncaring I'm just trying to pass teaching on not force anyone you guys.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 8, 2006, 10:13 AM
    In that case would you care to elaborate on the correct meaning of this question?

Jan 8, 2006, 10:13 AM
    Okay no one said you are being uncaring. Personally we don't know what your attitude is when teaching someone. It was merely a suggestion. I think you are being a little to sensitive.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 8, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Please
    u guys dont even know wat the hell im talking about.
    who said i was being uncaring im just trying to pass teaching on not force anyone u guys.
    Please try and not be so rude as offence will get you no help at all :( I guess it may just be the way you talk normal, but it can come over that you are been offensive and a little rude.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 8, 2006, 10:55 AM
    One of the qualities of the best teachers I've encountered is the ability to listen to what others say and learn from it. I'm sorry to say you have not, so far, exhibited that quality.

If you want people to pay attention to what you say, then you need to say it clearly and coherently. Again capabilities you have not, so far, exhibited.

This site is not necessarily about "teaching". Rather its about answering specific questions. Teaching is a broader issue.

We have not be trying to discourage you from helping, but we have been here for a while and have a great deal of experience with sites like this one have formed certain guidelines about the best way to help on a site like this. We are trying to help you by sharing that experience with you. I strongly suggest you pay attention!

Jan 8, 2006, 11:08 AM
    Lol
    Their getting answers to their questions therefore they are learnig and therefore they are being taught!

Jan 8, 2006, 11:39 AM
    Right there is where your problem lies.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 8, 2006, 11:53 AM
    their getting answers to their questions therefore they are learnig and therefore they are being taught!
    Getting answers to questions is not necessarily learning. Learning involves understanding. But YOU don't appear to be learning. So far all I have seen from you is mostly arrogance. That is not going to play well here.

You also need to read the rules here. You have several posts that violate those rules with vulgarities and personal attacks. In one of those responses you attacked one of the moderators here. Not a very smart thing to do.

Jan 8, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Im getting the spread thing every time I try to comment on someone but,Scott is right. That is not smart at all.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 8, 2006, 01:39 PM
    What who means?
    It isn't often but I have no clue what's going on in this tread,or what the poster is saying,its as if I woke up and forgot all the english I ever learned!:cool: :eek:
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2006, 11:29 PM
    their getting answers to their questions therefore they are learnig and therefore they are being taught!

Just because one gets an answer to their question, it does not mean they are learning.

And also, if you don't have the right attitude, people will not want to learn from you.

There was this guy in my school. He was super smart. But if you needed help, you didn't go to him unless you were desperate. WHY? Because he was so arrogant about his abilities it made everyone NOT like him, NOT want to ask him for help.

There is a lesson in that story cfablemaster. I suggest you look into it.
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Jan 10, 2006, 11:48 PM
    Whose on 1st?? :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search