Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jthomas119 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 11:23 PM
    1099-MISC income and IRA elgibility
    This year for the first time, I received all of my income from pension (30K), 1099-MISC (subcontractor) (60K) and capital gains from the sale of a house (100K+)

Does this mean that I can not get either a traditional IRA or a ROTH IRA because I have no "earned income"?
    Is there any other tax free investment available to me?

Thanks
    John
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 8, 2006, 08:14 AM
    John:

Income earned as a subcontractor is considered earned income. Hence, you can fund your traditional or Roth IRA up to $4,000 ($4,500 if you are over age 50). You have until April 15, 2006, to fund your 2005 IRA

In fact, you can also open up any of a number of pension plans for the subcontract business, to include a Self-Employment Plan (SEP) IRA, a SIMPLE plan, a profit sharing plan or even a 401K.

You can contact any of the brokerage houses (Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab, etc.) or any bank for details. Unfortunately, I believe the various pension plans must be established (though not necessarily funded) by December 31, 2005 for you to put money in them for 2005. I may be wrong on that (laws change, and there was talk of making the SEP IRA funding exactly like a regular IRA), so you need to contact one of the institutions noted above for complete information. At the very minimum, you can start and fund a pension for 2006.
    jthomas119 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2006, 08:49 PM
    1099-MISC income and IRA elgibility
    Many thanks.

I am reading about SEP-IRAs now. That sounds ideal for me since I can do it for about 13K instead of 4500 and it does appear that I can open it and fund it for 2005 up until 4/15.

John
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2006, 06:48 AM
    John:

Glad to hear that the SEP-IRA option is still open to you.

However, you can also do the regular/Roth IRA in addition to the SEP-IRA for a total of $17,500.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident? F-1 Student with 1099-MISC income [ 6 Answers ]

I realize this is probably a lot of information but I've been on the IRS website multiple times and CANNOT figure out whether I owe taxes: 1. I am currently on an F-1 visa for graduate school in Washington, D.C. - I arrived in the U.S. in Sept 97 on an F-1 visa for boarding high school....

1099 MISC income [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who is exercise instructor who also did some painting in our facility for a flat fee. Is the painting income reportable on Form 1099 and if so which box?

1099-MISC income requires schedule C-EZ [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I was on F1 status through 2005. I worked till April as an independent contractor at my company and have an 1099-MISC for that period. Later, I was employed full time and have the corresponding W-2 form. I used an automated tax preparation software (Cintax) provided by my university to...

1099-MISC income while on H-1B Visa [ 5 Answers ]

Is it legal to have a 1099-MISC income while being on H-1 Visa? The income is derived from a web based business to while the individual is affiliated but not an employee of. The profit earned by him is reported on a yearly basis as a 1099-MISC that is sent to him by the company. Is this legal? Will...

How to report income on 1099-Misc? [ 1 Answers ]

I got both W2 & 1099-Misc (Box 7. Nonemployee Compensation) from my employer. When I entered 1099-Misc income in TurboTax, it produced a Form 4137 (social security & medicare tax on unreported tip income). The income reported on 1099-Misc is not unreported tip income, but performance based bonus...

View more questions Search