Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phonzlocka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Ethernet - Local Area Connection cannot connect.
    Hi guys, Im losing my mind with this computer! My internet from is working fine, but my Ethernet cannot get a connection. On my ethernet Local Area Connection it says status is: Limited or no connectivity.

I have read on the net that you can release and renew in start> run, but nothing happens, it renews I think, but this comes up...

Windows IP Configuration.

PPP ADAPTER.
    Connection-specific DNS server :
    IP Address: ********* (this has numbers)
    Subnet mask: ********** ( has numbers also)
    Default Gateway: ********** ( has the same numbers as ip address)

ETHERNET LOCAL AREA CONNECTION
    Connection-specific DNS server :
    IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    Subnet mask: 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway:

Basically I am running an ethernet cable from my xbox 360, to my ethernet adapter slot at the back of my computer, no wireless or anything. And as I say the interet works fine though I can't get any connectivity out of the ethernet adapter. This used to work fine a few months ago, now it refuses to work. On my xbox the display says:
    Network adapter - wired
    IP address - failed

Im sooo sonfused with what to do now, anyone got any suggestions? Anything would be a great help, cheers guys, take care.

Phonz.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 07:11 PM
    If your going direct from the 360 to a PC card then you need a crossover cable not just a normal ethernet cable.

trying to connect my xbox 360 up tp my pc ?? [Archive] - MaxConsole Forums

Xbox.com | Xbox 360 Media Download Center

Hope this helps -- Please rate my answer
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jan 17, 2008, 11:49 AM
    In addition to what Biggsie has already stated, I am assuming the following: You are connected to the Internet via a modem since you have an active PPP adapter. If you do have a crossover cable as Biggsie mentioned (and since it worked a while back), then I have to ask "What is providing your Ethernet Local Area Connection with an IP address?"

Did you manually assign an IP address to your Ethernet Adapter and if so what is it? Do you have a DHCP server running in a router or elsewhere? Are you using Internet Connection Sharing which includes DHCP Services? Have you manually assigned an IP address to your XBOX and if so, what is it?

Note that performing a Release and Renew on a network adapter only works if there is a DHCP server present and capable of answering the request for renewal. The rest of the information that you did not type out in the Windows IP configuration would answer most of these questions.
    nelsone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 08:09 PM
    Dimdim can be in the public network connection will not be able to connect in the LAN
    seanster45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 09:13 PM
    Um... I have a laptop that is connected to the internet wirelessly to a router. Then I have a PC that does not have internet and is not wireless. I try everything to get it connected. It is trying to connect to a local area connection and it says acquiring IP address then network cable unplugged and it repeats forever. How can I fix this ?
    Please help me...
    massacr3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2011, 05:52 AM
    Sorry to jump your thread but I have a similar problem, I am connected drectly to my computer through ethernet which I am using a 3G modem for connection I have ICS enabled, I have forwarded all ports, yet my xbox struggles to connect to live, when I finally can connect I get disconnected with in 10 minutes, alos I have statically set my ip configuration on my xbox as automatic was not working my xbox connects to the internet but nearly always only connects 1/3 of the way to xbox live when it tells me there is a problem with my connection I have checked with my ISP and they have confirmed that all ports are open I am at my wits end with this one, I have had my connection working for months up until this past week, can somebody please help me?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Local Area Connection [ 6 Answers ]

I have had my PC for about 2 years now , unfortunately on AOL! I keep getting a "Local Area Connection3" cable is unplugged , which I presume is either my phone line or the usb from my modem?? This is literally every 2 minutes and it's a real pain.. Also AOL is going mad as well , my PC...

Connect with ethernet cable [ 4 Answers ]

How do I connect two laptops both running XP with an ethernet cable?

Changing USB connection to ethernet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a belkin wireless G router which doesn't work with my ntl broadband it got something to do with changing the USB connetion to ethernet can someone tell me how Please! Thank you

Can't direct connect 2 computer with ethernet [ 6 Answers ]

Hey I have 4 computers connect to the net using my router I was told to connect another computer I would have to direct connect with ethernet cable anyway I done that and I can share files trough network places but for some reason I cannot acess net on the 5th computer can anyone help me??

Connect 2 laptop with ethernet card [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I have 2 laptop. Each of them has a Ethernet card (I use it to connect to ADSL router to access internet). Can I transfer a file from one lapto to the other through the ethernet card ? I have a cable but I do not how to configure the operation system (Both of them uses Windows XP SP2). ...

View more questions Search