Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Derson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Making a decision
    We have a second mortgage on our home. At this time the monthly payment is not allowing us to make payments on other bills. I have done my best to make payments on time but I don't think I will be able to at this point. My question is we own two homes one has been a rental unit for over 15 years although it would be heartbreaking to move out of the home we owe the mortgage on I know that is a big probability. Do we sell the home we live in and move into the house in town. I am starting to sink and need a life jacket. We have 9 acres of land and could sell off property but in the long run would that do anything but buy a little more time
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 04:46 PM
    If you have other assets then you should talk to the mortgage holder and work out a plan to reduce your mortgage payments to catch up. They normally don't want forclosures because of debt accumulation and are really very helpful if it works in their favour. They would rather you keep paying and not losing, then they lose.
    Starlight_Dreamer Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Jan 16, 2008, 04:53 PM
    How did you acquire your homes in the first place? Seems like you are house poor. You've got a great place that you can't afford to live life because of...

You need to figure out if selling the property will allow you to pay off part of your long term debt. If you need to sell the rental property to pay down on the house, or if you are counting on the rental income to make ends meet...

I understand wanting to keep the new place, but take a good look at if you bit off more than you can handle.

I hope you are able to resolve the problem and come out well. It is a matter of how much you could get from the property and rental home, and how much you owe on the new place... If the sales of those extras can offset the new home mortgage substantially, it might be feasible.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2008, 05:10 PM
    How much is the land worth and how much do you owe. If the land is zoned for small lots, you may very well be able to sell off several acres, then refinance the mortgage for a lower monthly payment. Does the rental home at least break even?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relationship between financial decision making and risk and return? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the relationship between financial decision making and risk and return? Would all financial mangers view risk-return trade-offs similarly?:confused:

Shared decision making concerning children [ 4 Answers ]

My wife has not filed for divorce yet, however she is making all the decisions without consulting me. She has brought a 19 year old boy in and they are making the decisions, I don't know what to do to make her realize I am also the parent of our children. Can someone give my any ideas

Making a decision [ 14 Answers ]

Some one explain this to me... Im just having a bad day once again, trying to keep my head up but this one things keeps bothering me. 1 week before we split she wanted to get married and tld me I'm theo nly one for her. We have a son, then a week later we break up and then a weekafter that...

Am I making the right decision in giving up my parental rights to my children? [ 3 Answers ]

I have 3 children from my first husband and 2 from my current husband now. My ex abandoned me and my 3 children when we where going through our divorce for 3 years. He then decided to be a Hero to my 3 children and brain washed them that if they follow him that he'll buy them each 4-wheelers. He...

View more questions Search