Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alyssarox32 Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 02:45 PM
    Heat trouble in 98 Plymoth Breeze
    I know I already posted this question but I have some current updates on the question. I NEED HELP! I have a '98 Plymoth Breeze and I have a bit of a situation with the heat. About 2 weeks ago, my heat wasn't working. One minute it would be hot, then warm and then to cold until finally it wouldn't work at all. It would just blow cold air. On top of that, my engine overheated. So I added 2 quarts of anitfreeze because at the time, that was the problem. The heat worked fine up until about 3 days ago when it started not working again. I had someone check both designated compartments for the coolant and he said he could not see anything in there. I had just put coolant in not to long ago. My car isn't leaking coolant so what do you think it could be?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Sounds like something is blocked keeping the coolant from going into the actual heater for the car. Or your heater is in need of repair or replacing. Take it to your trusted mechanic as this is just not going to be fixed with adding more coolant.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Cracked head? Allowing coolant to escape through exhaust system??

Coolant has to be going somewhere... if it's not leaking to the ground, then it must be finding another path. Have you checked your other fluids to make sure the coolant is not mixing in?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2008, 03:07 PM
    The link below should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235973

I would go over the complete cooling system and check things out. Be sure to drain the system, check the thermostat, ensure the radiator is not plagued by mineral buildup or corrosion, and refill with a 50/50 mixture of recommended antifreeze and distilled water.

If necessary, replace the radiator. Don't drive an aluminum block engine, if it's overheating. It will result in a warped/cracked head, blown head gasket, and damaged valves.
    alyssarox32 Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Update on car: I put about 1/2 gallon of coolant into my car last night and this morning, the heat worked. It's weird because I had just put coolant in about 2 weeks prior to that. I believe that there is a leak or crack somewhere in the radiator and that the coolant is going elsewhere (but not on the ground). I checked my oil and it's fine. I am going to get it checked tomorrow. Thanks guys! Hey txgreasemonkey, if I could check all those things you metioned, trust me, I would. But I am a girl after all and of course I don't have the right equipment to check those. Plus I don't have very much money so going to get it checked out would be pricey. I just wanted a quick fix opinion until I would be able to find out what's wrong and fix it. Thank you though!
    owensRK Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Sounds like you are burning the antifreeze. Steam will be coming out the exgaust. Is a easy way to check. Be sure to have thermstat replaced if it overheated.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Have you solved the problem with this car? If you have a cracked head gasket, it will need to be fixed asap. If not, further overheating can result in cracked head. If it isn't already cracked, a cracked head will be very expensive to replace.
    arts1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alyssarox32
    I know I already posted this question but I have some current updates on the question. I NEED HELP! I have a '98 Plymoth Breeze and I have a bit of a situation with the heat. About 2 wks ago, my heat wasn't working. One minute it would be hot, then warm and then to cold until finally it wouldn't work at all. It would just blow cold air. On top of that, my engine overheated. So I added 2 quarts of anitfreeze becuase at the time, that was the problem. The heat worked fine up until about 3 days ago when it started not working again. I had someone check both designated compartments for the coolant and he said he could not see anything in there. I had just put coolant in not to long ago. My car isn't leaking coolant so what do you think it could be?
    You might have a bad thermostat,that sometimes stuck close or open,this might help to give a over heating problem.As for the continue replaceing of coolant I would agree that you could be loseing it through the exhaust manifold and out your exhaust system.
    * if the coolant is not mixing with the oil or driping or coming out as steam for you to see
    If the engine lose coolant too fast it could create a rapid over-heat that could destroy the engine or a VERY costly repair. Get it check properly fast.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Is the vehicle SOHC or DOHC? I've seen quite a few Breezes have head gasket problems

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

98 Plymoth Breeze [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 98 Plymoth Breeze and about 3 days ago the heat stopped working. I had this problem maybe like 2 weeks ago, so I put antifreeze in it and the heat started working fine. Now it just blows out cold air. There is no antifreeze leaking. What could it be?

Trouble w/ 2 zone heat [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 zone heat in my new home. I added the 2nd zone in threw a professional plumber. My question is it seems like it's only working 1 zone at a time? I've been waking up to 58 degrees on zone 1, can you help?

Harbor Breeze C/Fan remote trouble [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently installed three Harbor Breeze ceiling fans (Grand Lodge) and one of the fans mysteriously turns itself on. The fans are installed under a patio cover with about 20' separating each fan. My client wanted all three fans operated with one remote so the receivers/remotes are all using...

Trouble getting heat to 2nd floor [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a two floor home where the thermostat is on the first. The trouble is I am having trouble getting heat to the 2nd floor. Is there any thing I can do to the vents on the 2nd floor that would allow heat to reach up there?

View more questions Search