Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dzmotor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 08:39 PM
    Starting windows
    My puter crashed and after wiping the hard drive and redoing it, it now asks me which windows operating system I would like to run.. Either windows XP pro... which I have installed or windows.Can anyone tell me what I did wrong on installation? And what I need to do to stop it from asking.Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2006, 10:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dzmotor
    my puter crashed and after wiping the hard drive and redoing it, it now asks me which windows operating system i would like to run..Either windows XP pro....which i have installed or windows.Can anyone tell me what i did wrong on installation? and what i need to do to stop it from asking.Thanks
    You have multiboot set in your boot.ini file. Search for boot.ini at support.microsoft.com for info on how to edit this file.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Install XP
    Hi,
    If you wish to do a reinstall, here is a link, giving step-by-step instructions. You could skip the parts about the compatibility.
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/e...2october07.asp

You might now have two operating systems on your hard drive, thereby asking you which to use.
    Best of luck.
    lo-t Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2006, 01:45 PM
    DZ Motor...

Here's a bit of a step-by-step... this happens often and can be resolved in less than a minute.

1. Open your System Properties
    Right-Click on MY COMPUTER and choose Properties
    or
    START > SETTINGS (not always necessary) > CONTROL PANEL > System
    2. Click the ADVANCED TAB
    3. In the "Startup and Recovery" area, click SETTINGS
    4. In the "System startup" area you can note that the Default Operating System dropdown box lists 2 options. You will be removing one of these. Click EDIT
    5. boot.ini will have opened in Notepad. Assuming that your new operating system is the one that starts by default if you let the timer count all the way down, you can DELETE the bottom line (old operating system entry) from the boot.ini file.
    It should start with something that looks similar to:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
    6. Close the Notepad window and answer YES when asked to save the changes.

You're done. Let me know if you need further help. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

XP Home "Windows is Starting up... " [ 14 Answers ]

Xp Home refuses to load beyond the "Windows is starting up..." screen Tried swapping RAM positions Chkdsk /r Windows reinstall > repair NONE OF THEM WORKED :'( What can I do guys

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Just starting [ 1 Answers ]

Any loan officers that can help me start in the biz need some good sales lines for honest person ;)

Windows updates for Windows ME [ 16 Answers ]

For months now I can't get windows updates for Windows ME. I just get 'can't find server'. Neither Microsoft nor BT. Can help me. I've tried everything I can think of. I have a BT.Yahoo browser and I.Explorer 6. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

View more questions Search