Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deemgee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Do people still live in igloos ?
    I am a preschool teacher and the children would like to know if people still live in igloos. We read a story the other day about polar bears that also lived in an igloo. We decided that the story about the bears was fiction which lead us to the question about where the people of the north actually live. We would like to hear from someone that lives in the polar region where this might occur.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Sorry I do not live up North or South for that matter I am in between and in a quite warm environment,but I did find some interesting things when I searched the net.:)

------------------------------------
    http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/funfacts/igloo.htm

Most Eskimos Don't Live in Igloos

The igloo is the most common symbol identified with Eskimos, yet most Eskimos don't live in what most people think an igloo is.

Igloo is simply the Eskimo word for "house." So, technically, most eskimos DO live in igloos, as they define them, but not as most people think of them.

Mainly through the use of cartoons, people have long thought that Eskimos live in the rounded icehouses in order to keep warm in the cold climates in which they live. This might have been true originally, but it's not true now.

Nowadays, Eskimos live in wood, stone, and even cement buildings. They have heating devices that keep them warm in the colder months.
    ----------------------------------------
    You might want to check this site too.
    http://canadianwinter.ca/index.php?p...churchill_wild
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2008, 01:04 PM
    You are right that polar bears living in an igloo is pure fiction - how would they build such a dwelling?

Artic residents do not live in igloos all the time - but igloos are still used for emergency shelter when far from home, hunting, or traveling. Most of the Artic residents live in structures similar to those in more temperate climates.
    Minashi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 11:37 PM
    You are right that polar bears living in an igloo is pure fiction - how would they build such a dwelling?
    [LIST][*]Some ekimose live in igloos but polar bear's don't live in igloos
    Ricey13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 10:54 AM
    Sorry, but I am blown away that a preschool teacher had to even ask this question? Where did she get her credentials? And please don't use the word "Eskimo" with your students. It is inappropriate to use. In Canada most are referred to as Innu or Inuit! Which are different from one another, they are two different cultures!

Your Buddy From Newfoundland, Canada ;)
    Guest911 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2013, 01:23 PM
    Eskimo is an extremely racist word.
    And no they do not live in igloos (house), because they build their houses of wood, cement or stone, however they do build igloos occasionally, holiday. They have what we have elctronics, laptops, heating everything we have. DO NOT use 'Eskimo' it is EXACTLY taken like the N word.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it possible for two people with different religions to live together? [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible for two people with different relisions to live together, I mean get married? And someone keep telling me that muslim guys are very hard to get alone with?Is that true?These questions confused me for a long time!! For me, I always believe that once there is love,then there will be...

People [ 4 Answers ]

HI, I am a mom , wife , I have a house nice car and I am a good person only thing is I don't have any true friends. I all ways feel like I am cramping peoples style I am a functional addict . And I believe in God even thought I have flaw's I try to be as good as I can be to people . Why doe's no...

Live with mom- want to live with dad across country [ 3 Answers ]

I live with my mom with my 3 siblings. She has full custody. My dad is getting married and moving to California. I want to go with him. He knows that and says its OK if my mom says its OK. If my mom says no, what happens? Do I go to court? Do I easily loose if I don't have a ligitiment reason to...

And is it true some people can't live without love? [ 6 Answers ]

Well is it? Cause I, for one, am always miserable when I'm single! What about you guys?

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search