Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edzmedz Posts: 180, Reputation: 12

Jan 16, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Any phonograph experts in here?
    I am thinking of buying an old wind-up phonograph. Which one do you recommend? I am not really looking for something old to display but rather one that works. I just think it's fascinating how it works and the vintage sounds that come out of it. I don't care for it's rarity either, I just want it to play records that's all. But I want one that has a nice horn (I don't think they all have one right?). I don't know if they exist, but I also want one that plays all types of records including size of disks and speed to run them. I know this option is available in newer electric versions but I was wondering if it is also included in some wind-up ones. Also what's the budget I should have on hand?
    Thanks in advanceeeeeee...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Are you saying that you don't care if the phonograph is an antique? If you want a real antique, then it's not going to be able to play all types of records.

Jan 17, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Well I guess I do care a bit lol, OK so one that will play the most common ones at least. How many types of records are there any way. I mean the size shouldn't be a problem , it's all about the speed right? Because I guess if the big records fit so the smaller ones will obviously fit as well.. the ones I have seen (or think I have) have an option for 2 speeds.. close? Or am I delusional? So anyway what do you recommend?

Jan 17, 2008, 10:32 AM
    The thing is I have a few records and I was thinking I could play them once I buy it , I can check what is written on them and get back to u.. but anyway what's the most common type or records?
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Concerning the most common types of gramophone or phonograph records that have been used, the quote below is from the following site. Gramophone record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The terms LP record (LP, 33, or 33⅓ rpm record), EP, 16⅔ rpm record (16), 45 rpm record (45), and 78 rpm record (78) each refer to specific types of gramophone records. Except for the LP and EP (which are acronyms for Long Play and Extended Play respectively), these type designations refer to their rotational speeds in revolutions per minute (rpm). LPs, 45s, and 16s are usually made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), and hence may be referred to as vinyl records or simply vinyl.
    There is much more information concerning both early and modern gramophone and phonograph records on that site.
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Now, addressing the part of your question that has to do with finding one with a horn on it, you are describing early phonographs, gramophones or cylinder players. They were used in the lat 19th century and into the early 20th century. There are other names that were used for them, but those are three of the main ones.

The image below, is of an early phonograph. I'm not sure of the brand of this one. When they had the big horns on them, one brand of them was nicknamed "Morning Glory" because of the shape of the horn resembling the shape of a Morning Glory flower. By the way, the term gramophone is the British term for the American phonograph.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Now, in terms of trying to find a player that has a horn on it that will play a variety of types of records, the one that you see in the image would only play records that needed to be played at a speed of 78 RPM. So, you really can't play a variety of types of records on a machine such as that.

However, it's possible that you might find a reproduction of an early player that has a horn on it that would play a variety of types of records.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do the experts think? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently inherited some commercial property with no mortgage. I want to start my own business but my savings are very limited. My question is... can I take out, or would I even qualify for a mortgage on the property that I now own, to start my business? The property has a rental income of appx....

History experts [ 10 Answers ]

In History, Written or otherwise, what does it say about the Messengers from Abraham till Muhammad (peace be upon them all). I know the Islamic perspective,but I was wondering if there were any written/unwritten historical information not from a religion. Hope the history experts or...

Physics experts [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know any physics experts?

View more questions Search