Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldboy101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 12:03 AM
    Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet.
    I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my toilet to flush properly.

All the small holes are clear (no buildup), the jet in the bottom of the bowl is clear as well. The water level fills to just below the overflow tube, and when I flush the toilet, the bowl fills, the water level rises as it begins to swirl, but the trap door never opens to allow flushing.

I have tinkered with everything from the cord length in the tank, to the water level in the tank, to taking almost all the water out of the bowl and trying various levels of water in the bowl while flushing.

My landlord came over and in 5 minutes had it flushing just fine.. as he was leaving he said "its working fine, if you have a problem again, just hold the handle down a little longer because the water sometimes can't get out of the tank quite enough..." as soon as he left I had no more than 2 flushes that worked normal then it returned to its non-working state...

Helppppp!!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Your flapper needs to be able to float on the water once th toilet is flushed. Flapper trap air inside themselves so floating is pretty easy. Try flushing the toilet with the lid off and see if the flapper sinks and seals the drain too soon. If so, continue to hold the flush handle down so the water can't fill the tank. Reach down and lift the flapper a few inches to allow any water inside to drain. If this does not give you the results you need try a new flapper, about $3.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 16, 2008, 10:28 AM
    If the tank level is 1/2" under the top of the white overflow tube then the tank level's set OK. But here's one that you might check out. In my capacity as shop trouble shooter I began to run into a slew of complaints on our new construction that were just like yours. I knew they all couldn't be " bad toilets" so I went looking for the cause. I found that when installing the new bowl that the wax ring had been forced out into the discharge pipe and blocking the free flow of water. When the water hit it a backpressure was set up preventing the siphon that makes a good flush and the solids just swirled around while the water went slowly down. I had to set up meeting with our plumbers and show them the problem and how to fix it. When you set the bowl, put the wax seal down on the flat side to the closet flange. Then take your hands and bevel the wax seal outward so that when you set a bowl on it the wax is forced out instead of in blocking the flush. The customer complaints stopped and I had less work to do. Try molding the wax seal so it doesn't choke down on the flush. Good luck, Tom
    Randor7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 10:07 PM
    Speedball1, you are a certifiable genius -- and if you're not you should be... hehehe. I've had this problen for 2 months since moving into my new house and it has baffled me. Today, after 10 minutes of searching on the internet, I found your solution.

I want to express my THANKS to you. You solved the mystery for me and for many others, I'm sure.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 18, 2010, 05:54 AM

[QUOTE][You solved the mystery for me /QUOTE]Hey Randor,
    That's why we're here. Glad your problem's solved. If we can ever be of service in the future we're as close as a click. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank doesn't refill. No water in tank make it flush [ 17 Answers ]

My toilet was working properly before tonight. :p There was no slow leak sound; nothing. Now when the handle is pressed, nothing happens. I opened up the tank and found there was no water in the tank. :( I've been searching the Internet for answers, but haven't found any that address this...

New toilet not flushing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am Meriel My husband and I have just installed a new toilet. We are remodeling our bathroom and we are having a problem with our new toilet! It does not want to flush it takes two or three flushes to empty the bowl and it gets a big air bubble. We are not new to remodeling but this...

Toilet not flushing toilet paper! [ 3 Answers ]

Why will our new toilet flush more solid waste but not toilet paper & less solid waste? We have just bought it & are in middle of having bathroom installed & the plumber is blaming the toilet & the fact it is quite narrow at the bottom of the pan inside. It has no trouble with getting rid of other...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Brand new toilet won't flush... [ 4 Answers ]

I hope someone can tell me what else to try. I am redoing a bathroom in a 50 year cabin. The old toilet flushed strong, but there was a "gurgling" in the other drains. When I removed the old toilet I replaced the flange. The old flange had 3" pvc inserted into the 4" cast drain with some...

View more questions Search