Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diantelope Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Seized money in joint savings account
    I have a 7 year old credit card debt - purchased by Elite Recovery - I sent them a letter saying they were trying to collect on a time-barred debt. They obviously got a judgement because today, they emptied my joint savings account (not enough money in the joint checking account). According to the bank, the order was only good for today - and have to be served again to remove more money. In the meantime, I contacted Elite to make payment arrangements - a 3,000 debt now blossomed to $8500. I requested terms in writing. I don't think there's anything I can do to Elite - I am unemployed, don't own any assets. My question is - can they touch my husband's business account - it's in his name.
    Fastfun1 Posts: 80, Reputation: 11

Jan 26, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Assuming your husband is not a joint holder of the debt, the collection agency should not be able to use his business account as recourse. However, I am concerned as to how your husband's operating agreement is written, more specifically, who it contains. On all business accounts, banks retain a copy of the operating agreement to determine who can legally conduct financial transactions on the business' behalf. If your are on the operating agreement, and therefore a partial owner of the business, the collection agency may be able to find recourse in the account.
    loving granddaughter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 01:08 PM
    We had a debt that was with one credit card and sold to another company. It went past the seven years and they finally took us to court and got a judgement and they garnished my husbands pay since it was in his name. They never went after our checking account money.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 01:13 PM
    If the debt is yours solely and the account is in his name solely, then no.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a joint account with my mother be seized in a chapter 13? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are in Illinois and are getting ready to file chapter 13, I'd ask my lawyer on Monday but it's 5:30 on Friday and this is going to drive me nuts. My wife has a joint checking account with her mother which my wife does not contribute to, she's on the account just in case something...

Joint Savings account with son [ 3 Answers ]

My husband had a joint savings account with his step-son. My husband started this account more than 10 years ago and has money directly deposited into this account. My step-son has put no money into this account. My step-son has always been told this money was to be used for schooling, or if he...

Bank Account Seized [ 6 Answers ]

I have a joint bank account with my husband. The account was seized and they have it blocked. That was my money but the seize was against him what do I do?

Can my out of state bank account be seized? [ 1 Answers ]

Back on 3/11/05 a small claims judgment was filed against me and my brother in the state of New York for back rent in the amount of $2023. At the time we had no idea what to do about it (still don't actually) but we knew we weren't guilty so we showed up to court only to be ignored though the whole...

View more questions Search