Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davis_nf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Cooling engines
    Why do most vehicles use water to keep cool when oil would prevent rust and not evaporate?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Types
    Many engines today in equipmnet and some motorcycles use an oil cooling, and water cooling because more popular early. \\

Some info on oil cooling can be found at http://www.oldengine.org/members/lozzi/oilcooled.htm
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 09:00 PM
    I think he means, why do they use water instead of oil to cool a engine? Well water is just better at it. Though most have oil coolers, but to cool the entire block, water is better at heat transfer, etc. the antifreeze mixed with the water does the rest, protects against rust/corrosion, keeps the water from freezing, etc. and oil does evaporate... just takes heat. Now a air cooled engine, would benefit from a external oil cooler, because they run hotter then that of a water cooled engine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c not cooling [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a problem with my central a/c not cooling. Both my outside unit and my blower in the attic are running, but I'm not getting cool air.Any ideas? Thanks.

Alternative cooling [ 1 Answers ]

My family is about to buy a home and this new home has a central duckt about 2 feet square (with a grill that did now alow me to look inside) on the 2nd floor that goes verticaly through the attic. The current owner's explanation is that is like a skylight with a fan that will suck up the hot air...

Search Engines [ 10 Answers ]

What is the correct boolean statement for... ONLY (A+B+C) and can I expect search engines to execute this? Don

A/C not cooling [ 11 Answers ]

I apologise if a similar question was already asked. However, I did try to look for thread with similar problem but couldn't find one. I live in a house which is approx 20 years old now. Originally the house was built with just the heating system. 3 years ago we installed a new carrier air...

View more questions Search