Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flintstones1962 Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Changing Dynamic IP address to Static...
    Hello,
    My question may seem very strange, but I've heard from a friend that I can change my Dynamic IP address assigned to me from ISP to Static without paying extra charges to the company.

Is this possible ?

Greetings,
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 12:53 PM
    Really depends on what country, but I very much doubt it.
    You would have to talk to your ISP and ask them.

There are ways to make it act as if its static. HAve a look HERE for ideas.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintstones1962
    Hello,
    My question may seem very strange, but I've heard from a friend that I can change my Dynamic IP address assigned to me from ISP to Static without paying extra charges to the company.

Is this possible ?

Greetings,
    That's up to your carrier. If theywant to charge there is nothing you can do.

However there are services that will do the translation for you. Essentially, whenever your IP changes, the services database is updated. But many of them charge a fee too.
    hawkeman Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2006, 10:53 AM
    It is possible depending, as mentioned above, on your carrier. I didn't know that my carrier offered StaticIP at no extra charge until I was setting up a surveillance DVR for a customer and told them they'd need a StaticIP and that it might cost extra. They called the ISP and found out that it's no extra charge.

I got mine with a phone call, took about 15 minutes. It was nice to drop the DDNS stuff (that was often buggy anyway).
    Darth_Tanion Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Jan 23, 2006, 06:19 PM
    Depending on what you want to do you can simulate a static IP I guess you could say. I have a dynamic IP address at home but I like to be able to remote into my PC and Router so I use no-ip.org. They supply a small download that you run on one of your PC's behind your router or on the computer you connect to the internet with and then you can have a url so rather than using your IP address you can type in "myurl.no-ip.org". Depending on what you want to do with your static IP this can provide a nice, free alternative.
    Flintstones1962 Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2006, 01:41 AM
    Thanks a lot for everybody...
    Was really nice to read all you reactions...

Greetings

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Static ip address? [ 18 Answers ]

A client has DSL and wants to connect their home PC to their work computer so that they both have the same e-mail address, an I.T. guy at my work says they then would need a static ip address. What does that do? :confused:

Changing IP address [ 2 Answers ]

How do I change my IP address?

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Excel: change relative address to absolute address [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In Excel spreadsheet, how to change relative address to absolute address for many cells at same time? I know how to use F4 to do the change, but it is not an option when I have to deal with the addresses in a 150 row x 50 column table. Thanks, Wei

View more questions Search