Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Is this really true ?
    Hi, Im a father of 3 and I live apart from my children. I have been paying court ordered child support since the divorce first started except for a period of unemployment. One of my children recently turned 18. Already graduated high school and is trying his hand at collage ( yes Im very proud of him ). The DCS ( department of child support ) contacted my employer with a notice to withhold monies from my paycheck. After my child turned 18 they increased it. They say they can over ride what a judge orders and that there is a California Law that makes a continuation of child support possible plus 25 %. They told me its an emancipation claus that's automatic and mandated by state law. I called Family law facilitators office and was told it had to have been agreed upon.
    Is it true that it's a law if you owe arears that even if a judge says you are to pay " this " amount they can over ride it and force you to continue to pay child support for a child over 18 without extraordinary needs ( like medical disability etc. ) The case is out of California.
    2) Can the DCS override what a judge mandates in a support order ?
    Thanks.
    Its joint custody 80/20 and 50/50 legal ( Im the NCP )
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 15, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Ask DCS to cite the specific statutes or administrative rules so you can look them up. But it sounds like that may be the case. I would not be surprised if they can increase support deductions to recoup arrears. Nor would I be surprised if the lawallowed for support to continue while the cvhild was in college, even if the decree specified it ended at 18.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 01:41 PM
    I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly. If there are arears, that amount can still be required despite the child's age. I also believe that child support payments can be increased above a judges original order in order to force a more rapid catch up on the deficit account.

I'm not sure if you are paying new child support, or only catching up the amount that is in arears.

I know you are not in Canada, but I know someone from there who must pay as long as children are in college even after the age of 21!

Hope this helps a little bit.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 02:38 PM
    The child support isn't new. I did have it modified 3 years ago but that required going to court and being in front of a judge. This is from a agency of the California State Government. In California a child is emancipated at age 18. The agency had told me my EX requested that child support continue because of arrears and its really killing me. I did ask about the law for California and can't find it anywhere nor would they quote it to me.
    If I don't get resolve Im going to end up back in court and see if a judge can order a proper amount or go live in a cardboard box ( j/k ).

Thanks for your answers
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 03:52 PM
    I can relate... I'd be happy to live in a little shed... but can't seem to save 2 dimes to put toward it... It strikes me as a bit amusing that there are zoning laws to keep a person from living in a shak, but none preventing card board box homes... I

Wonder what would happen if I made that water-proof cardboard??

I might just have to try it and see what happens as a way to make a point.

In the meanwhile, my landlord gets his share.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

Is that true [ 27 Answers ]

Is that true that Muslims never have sex before marriage?And all girls are virgins before marriage? How muslims men could control themselves when they feel hot?I am very curious! Any one can say tell me something?:confused:

Is it True? [ 10 Answers ]

I have been searching online to figure out how to get an ex back that broke up because of space. They have all said the same thing ignore him and he will come back to you. I was wondering if anyone knows this to be true and if anyone went through a similar situation and how they got their ex back?...

What is true/not true about linked genes? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to clarify concepts in genetics about linked genes. I know that linked genes are located on the same chromosome and they always segregated together during meiosis and always separate during crossing over, right? And is the recombination frequency actually reprsent the distance between...

Is It True? [ 11 Answers ]

So they say that if you sleep with a guy on the first date he will not come back is this fact or fiction ?:rolleyes:

View more questions Search